Der Klapp Kirche
"The two families (George Valentine Clapp and John Ludwig Clapp), and the other "Pennsylvania Deutsch" families who were to follow them, built the first Lutheran and Reformed churches in what is today Guilford and Alamance Counties. Like their Quaker and Presbyterian neighbors, these pioneer Germans had brought their Bibles with them, and since there were no ministers among them, they were obliged to read the Word for themselves, and to worship privately in their homes.
As their new settlement grew to considerable size, the two sects became aware of the need for churches. A log building was erected near the present Lowe's Lutheran Church and the Old Salisbury (Trading Path) Road, and there the two congregations worshipped together. The village schoolmaster, and occasionally a traveling preacher, read the scriptures to them in German. They sang together the hymns in the Gemeinschaftliche Gesangbuch. In some of the early union churches, Lutheran services were held one Sunday and Reformed services the following Sunday.
...most of the German congregations in this section were organized by the Reverend Samuel Suthers. Reverend Suthers began his ministry in North Carolina in June, 1768, and in October, 1771, he moved to the Guilford-Orange community. About this time, sentiments growing out of the Regulation movement caused a division in the congregation of the original union church, and Reverend Suthers led a number of Reformed believers to a schoolhouse near the present site of the Brick Reformed Church in Guilford, where they erected an altar and began to hold services. (Note: The Lutheran church members were primarily Loyalist while the Reformed believers' sympathies were with the rebellion and the Patriots so the two church congregations discontinued the practice of meeting together for church services.)
Among the families who founded this church were the Albrights, Clapps, Fausts, Ingolds, Schaeffers, and others, and for a number of years the meeting house was known as "Der Klapp Kirche" (the Clapp Church)."
Source: The Centennial History of Alamance County 1849 - 1949 by Walter Whitaker. Printed in the United States by the Dowd Press, Inc. Charlotte, NC. In the front of the book it states - "In order that material from this book can be used as widely as possible, it does not carry a copyright. Proper credit to the source of information, however, will be appreciated."