Part of the Acorn Archive
Hearts of Oak
Built as LEUCADIA
3748 grt; 6394 dwt
Built in 1910 by the Tyne Iron Shipbuilding Co., Willington Quay, Newcastle.
For International Line SS Co. Ltd. (C. Marwood), Whitby, Yorkshire.
later Rowlands and Marwoods SS Co. Ltd.
348ft 5ins x 50ft 5ins x 23ft 5ins.
Triple expansion steam; 307 nhp; built J. Dickinson and Co., Sunderland.
1916 Sold to Sutherland SS Co. (B.J. Sutherland and Co.), Sandhill, Newcastle-on-Tyne. Renamed STROMA.
1929 Sold to George A Georgilis, Chios, Greece; Renamed PAPALEMOS.
SS Leucadia ( SS Stroma ) as Papalemos
Photograph from the Stuttgart Collection
28th May 1941 En route with 5460 tons of grain, Rosario / Montevideo to Freetown and UK, torpedoed by U-107 and followed by AA gunfire.
Complement: 29 (2 dead and 27 survivors). The U-boat crew took care of three wounded survivors and provided them cigarettes, chocolate and provisions.
Sunk in position 08.06N : 16.18W