Part of the Acorn Archive
Architecture and Heritage
Oliver Caldwell - Architect
Oliver Caldwell FRIBA, b 1860, was an architect and surveyor of Penzance for 30 years.
He lived at Nr 4, Morrab Terrace and later at Elmsdale, Alexandra Road.
James Caldwell mayor of Penzance ( 1891 ) was a brother of his.
Oliver Caldwell’s first scheme was begun in 1880,
and was one which brought him more difficulties than he had envisaged.
1880 saw start of the development of streets, which resulted from the sale of the
gardens and agricultural fields of Leskinnick House.
The area is known as "The Battlefield" owing to a legal battle between the builders and Mr Rodd,
who objected to having the houses built so close to his large house,
next to the Roman Catholic Church , hence the delay of ten years after commencement.
St Francis Street 1880; St Philip Street 1891;
St Dominic Street 1893; St Warren Street 1895
The streets were named after Saint's names and names of the builders,
St Mary, St Dominic, St Michael, St Philip, St Warren & St Henry.
Also two names with historic significance in the area of Penzance – Penlee & Gwavas.
Warren Middleton was a convert of Canon Shortland of the Catholic Church in Penzance.
As a priest of the diocese he served in a number of places including Par,
but is best known for founding the Bideford Mission
and he was connected with the building of the houses.
Oliver Caldwell’s work on the “battlefield” gained him
the respect of others in the town.
HIS DESIGNS AND WORK
26 and 27, Market Place 1884; Number 26 was later demolished for Burtons to be built.
Sea Water Public Baths, Promenade 1887 [demolished 1935]
Lariggan Bolitho Convalescent Home 1889
Parade Street Methodist Church 1889
Roman Catholic School 1892 - St Mary's Street
New School off Alexandra Road 1894
Penzance Club ( bottom of Alexandra Road ) 1895
Trevayler Estate Repairs 1896
Camborne Post Office 1899 Page 2a
Gulval Water Supply – Reservoir 1900
Trehurst Villa 1902
Penberthy Croft – St Hilary 1903
Towednack School – Survey report 1903
Public Benefit Boot Company ( became Lennards and now Threshers ) 1905
Richard Foster Bolitho Almshouses 1905
Riviera Palace Hotel ( St Clare Girl's School ) 1906
St Erth Methodist Church raising of the roof and new 'Gothicised' windows 1906
The Firs, King's Road 1907
The Sycamores 1908
He worked on the Girl's County School, with Sampson Hill [architect of the Boy’s County Schoo] .
Pendarves Villa 1911 (Tolver Place, Pendarves Rd)
The Sailor's Institute 1916
Morrab Road houses
Alexandra Road houses
Elmsdale, Alexandra Road – his last home.
The Gas Board Office, 94 Market Jew Street Penzance
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids