Part of the Acorn Archive
Hearts of Oak
The HARVEYs of Hayle
Their Connections and Family
With the Harveys of Hayle there is yet another connection with Captain J L Vivian Millett, The Vivian family (all having, in toto, descended from one stem, and claiming descendency from Henry III), William Gayer Michell, Humphry Davy, The Fry family and Richard Trevithick. Captain John Lester Vivian Millett’s mother was Emily Vincent. Her father was Joseph Vivian, married in 1833 to Emma Dennis (died 1836) of Penryn. Joseph Vivian, Commander of a frigate of the East India Company, re-married in 1839 to Emily Jane Vincent (daughter of Phillip Vincent, Surgeon); when Joseph Vivian died in 1842, Emily Jane re-married in 1850, to George John Wait. Their son was Captain Alfred Maclean Wait, of the Union Line.
John Vivian (b 1838) of Meadowside, Hayle married Nanny Harvey in 1866; he was the only son of Captain John Vivian (1809-1857), and a nephew of William Vivian (1813-1870) who had married Eleanor West. Captain John Vivian was agent for Lloyds in Melbourne. John Vivian’s grandfather was Captain John Vivian (senior); He was born at Phillack in 1784, and was a Captain in Her Majesty's Packet Service, He married in 1809 to Elizabeth Rosewarne.
Richard Trevithick’s friend, William West married Joanna Harvey. Richard Trevithick married Jane Harvey, a younger sister of Joannah Harvey. William West made the models of Richard Trevithick’s high pressure steam engine in 1796.
Captain John Vivian’s uncle was Captain Andrew Vivian; in 1802, Richard Trevithick, William West, and Andrew Vivian patented the high-pressure engine. In 1803, Captain John Vivian ( senior ), took the new engine on the LITTLE CATHERINE to London, and when there, drove Trevithick and West’s “locomotive” along New Road; At sea, he ran the Blockade and made a successful voyage to Cronstadt in 1811; 15th March 1813, he was in command of HMP LITTLE CATHERINE, returning from Corunna, the ship was captured by two French frigates; He retired from Packet service 1817;
In 1832, he became Commander of the HERALD, running between Hayle and Bristol, the first steamer used on the Cornish coast.
He also commanded the CORNWALL (1842-59)
and the COLOMBIA (1859-60). He died at Hayle in 1871.
Samuel ("Sam") Warren began working with Harveys in 1833. His skills were required to build specially adapted hulls, with long access hatches, for carrying boilers and engine beams to far afield mining operations in the wide world. He would personally specially select his timber, visiting the timber forests and suppliers, to order a year in advance, mostly from Watchet and Tamar; the timber was carried by Bolitho's ship CHYANDOUR (named from Bolitho’s office location in Penzance). Most timber used was local hardwood, Norwegian and Canadian Pine. Details of the CHYANDOUR below…..
John Harvey, blacksmith of Gwinear, established the foundry in 1779,
at Hayle in Cornwall, to supply water pipes to the mines.
He was born c1730 and died 1803.
The business was continued and developed by his son, Henry Harvey
(born c1775); he extended and developed the harbour and trade.
He died unmarried, in 1850. In 1848, John Harvey formed a deed of settlement, passing the business on to the nephews and neices.
William West, Richard Trevithick and John Harvey, born c1770 of St Columb. He married Ann Harvey.
Their two children were Nicholas Oliver Harvey and William Harvey.
William Harvey lived at Trelissick Villa. He moved to Torquay in 1883.
He was a Justice of the Peace for Cornwall.
He married Elizabeth Belling Mudge, of Bodmin; she died 1877
and William married again, to Mary Hunt Mudge, Torre, Torquay.
Children by his first wife …..
1 Francis Harvey born 1840; JP for Cornwall; of Harvey & Co.;
Lived at Glanmor, Hayle. Married Ann Trevithick d/o John Harvey Trevithick of Tolroy, Hayle. Their three children were Charlotte Mary Harvey, William Francis Trevithick Harvey and Frank Harvey.
2 Eleanor Mudge Harvey, married Samuel Wills of Wadebridge.
3 Elizabeth Belling Harvey, married Charles Trevithick of Hayle.
4 Nanny Harvey, married John Vivian of Hayle
5 Mary Clementine Harvey, married Adolphus W Young of Twyford.
From The 1847 Williams’ Commercial Directory, Harveys were
Millers, Engineers, iron founders, iron and coal merchants, Ship-builders, ship-owners Ironmongers ,Wholesale grocers, Tea-dealers, and General merchants and Rope-makers.
The Trevithicks, in 1852, left Harvey’s partnership and formed their own firm of J H Trevithick & Son, Millers.
The partners of Harveys of Hayle were then Nicholas Harvey, William Harvey, William West and John West; William John Rawlings became a partner in 1854.
Signal Letters LSNR
Port Nr 1 1858
Port of Registry Penzance
Schooner rig; 1 decks; 2 Masts; Square stern
Carvel Built; Figurehead Woman’s Bust; Framework Wood
Lower Forecastle and other spaces 11.52 tons
Register Tonnage 62.34 tons
Sailing ship, built Stonehouse, 1824
Length 74.6 ft
Breadth 19 ft
Depth in Hold 8.3 ft
Date of Entry 4th February 1858
Owner : Thomas Simon Bolitho, Merchant of Penzance
and Edward Bolitho, Merchant of Madron; 32 shares each.
9th February 1887;
64 shares sold to Joshua Daniel, Bellair Terrace, St Ives
30th January 1903; Registry not required, Vessel used as a hulk,
Owners letter received. Certificate of registry delivered up,
cancelled and forwarded to Reg Genl on 31.1.03
Transcribed from the Penzance Shipping Registers; PENZ_03
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids