Abraham T. BRINKER
- Born: 1774, Northampton Co., Penna.
- Marriage: Louisa MOSER Abt 1796, Westmoreland, Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania, United States
- Died: December 20, 1850, Summit Twp., Butler Co. , PA. at age 76
- Buried: Brinker Cem., Summit Twp., PA.
Name Prefix:<NPFX> Captain
Magazine: The Pennsylvania Magazine of History andBiography, Vo
l XXXIX pg. 119, 120; Capt. Abraham Brinker, a native of Northam
pton Co., Pa. moved to Westmoreland Co., and in 1804 to Butler
, where he built "The Mansion House." In 1809 he sold it to Jaco
b Mechling, and bought a tract of land on Bonny Brook, in what i
s now Summit Twp.,first known as Brinker's Mills, in 1813 and er
ected there a grist and carding mill, together witha distillery
. He was captain of a company under Col. John Purviance, at Erie
, in the war of 1812.
"The History of Butler Co" 1883 lists Abraham Brinker as a Count
y Commissioner in 1804 & 1819 and also a Justice of Peace in 181
7for district #3, comprised of Butler, Center, Donegal and Clea
He is buried in the Brinker Cemetery (at Summit Twp., Pa, 1/4 mi
le north of Rte. 422, 100 Yards east of LR 10033, near Bonnie Br
ook) along with his wife and daughters Margaret and Mary Henry.
History of Butler Co., Penna, Vol. II
About 1812, Abraham BRINKER purchased the SMITH property. He wa
s one of the most prominent citizens of his time; served as Just
ice of the Peace, as County Commissioner, etc., besides carryin
g on a good deal of business. He was public-spirited and generou
s; encouraged and supported schools, and, both directly and indi
rectly, his influence was exerted for good. His judgment was sou
nd, and it was very common when any dispute arose among his neig
hbors for them to say, "Let us leave the matter to Squire BRINKE
R." Thus, without an appeal to law, many troubles were settled q
uietly and to the satisfaction of allinterested parties. Ther
e being no public houses near, his house and Squire MCCURDY's of
ten afforded entertainment to travelers upon the pike. Squire MC
CURDY was a religious man, and his hospitable home was often vis
ited by ministers, who came to preach at the schoolhouse. As hi
s house stood on one side of the creek and Mr. BRINKER's on th
e other, it became a common saying among the settlers that Bonny
brook had the law on one side and the Gospel on the other. Chapt
er XXXII Summit
Abraham BRINKER, soon after his settlement, put inoperation a s
aw-mill on Bonnybrook, which runs through the farm. In 1813-14
, he erected the stone mill which is still standing and is stil
l known as BRINKER's Mill. He afterward operated a carding-mil
l and distillery.
BRINKER's Mill was long the scene of busy activity, as it receiv
ed custom from a wideextent of country. The machinery was at fi
rst very simple. The mill had no elevator, and the corn or whea
t was carried up a ladder, a half a bushel at a time, and throw
n into the hopper. The next improvement was to carry up a bag fi
lled with grain, and finally a barrel was so aranged that it cou
ld be filled and hoisted. John MOSER was the miller for many yea
rs, and afterward JohnWARNCASTLE, who brought up a large and ve
ry respectable family.
The first schoolhouse in this township was a small log buildin
g north ofBonnybrook, near BRINKER's mill. Early teachers: MALE
Y, George GREER and Joseph TOWNLEY. TOWNLEY was a kind, consider
ate man and a good teacher. GREER was an old man and respected.
A frame schoolhouse was erected in this neighborhood at an earl
y date, largely through the efforts of Squire BRINKER, who furni
shed it with stoves, and in other ways manifested his interest i
n the cause of education.
At Bonnybrook (Brinker's Mills), a post office was established b
y Abraham BRINKER, but it was discontinued long ago. Bonnybroo
k Post Office was established in 1868, and Henry GUMPPER, who wa
s then keeping store here, was appointed Postmaster. The store w
as burned and the office discontinued.
Abraham BRINKER came for Northampton Countyto Westmoreland Coun
ty, and thence to Butler, in 1804. He built a log house south o
f the site of the court house, in which h
Abraham married Louisa MOSER, daughter of John MOSER and Maria Catharina KLEIN, about 1796 in Westmoreland, Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania, United States. (Louisa MOSER was born September 18, 1779 near Alburtis, PA., died November 18, 1865 in Home Of Daughter Sara Ziegler and was buried in Brinker Cem., Summit Twp., PA..)