A Short History of Gerald Vuhr Craig
26 February 1915 to 06 December 1999
Compiled by Patricia Craig Johnson
Table of Contents
Work History 1941-1960
Names & Addresses of Family Members 1961
I don't remember the exact date that my father gave me the pages that I used to compile this history. I estimate it was about 1963/1964. I put it away and more or less forgot about it.
I have moved many times in the years since then, but I always moved these pages with me. He seemed to want me to have this record of his work history and residences. He had to list these things for a job he was applying for.
In March 2006, I had an inspiration to transcribe this information for my descendants, and his, to have in the future. He has been gone for 5 ˝ years, but he is alive in my memory, and I still expect any day to get a phone call from him, just like in the old days. Maybe the inspiration to do this is in place of that phone call, stranger things than that have happened to me since I became a genealogist. I truly believe it is a spiritual calling.
Some of the text is almost impossible to read, so I have transcribed it to the best of my ability. Others may be better able to interpret the writing, but they are not here, so you are left with my feeble attempt.
I know that some places have been left out of the places we lived in the early years, but he was trying to remember 30 years of residences, and I can certainly understand. There were sometimes reasons to forget places because of unpleasant memories. I appreciate the fact that he shared this with me. It was the best he could do at the time, so errors are certainly forgiven. I would have to concentrate very hard to remember all the places and addresses I have lived at in the last 30-40 years, so I find it a remarkable work on his part.
This is dedicated to you, Dad. Rest in peace.
I am proud to be your daughter.
Work History 1941-1960
Because of the format of these pages I am going to do them as a narrative paragraph for each job. I will number them just as my dad did when he wrote them.
12-9-1960 to present on standby status PKS
1. 10-1-1960 to 12-9-1960; Title: Project Supt, Peter Kiewit Sons Co.; $1250/mo plus allowance; Area Greenland Ice Cap North; Project: Camp Century; Immediate Supervisor: Chas. Foley; Duties: Supervise all crafts in construction of the intrical (sic) connecting parts of the atomic reactor powered, power plant. Plus all administrative duties connected with the project; Reason for leaving: contract complete.
2. 3-18-1960 to 10-1-1960; Title: Structural Supt, Peter Kiewit Sons Co.; 1250/mo plus allowance; Project: DEW Line Extension; Immediate Supervisor: Harold F Priebe; Duties: Supervise the crafts involved in construction at composit (sic) type bldg on Ice Cap; Reason for leaving: go to Camp Century.
Jan 20 to March 18, 1960 on standby status PKS
3. 1-27-1959 to 1-20-1960; Title: Shielding Supt, Greenland Contractors; 1250/mo plus allowance; Project: BEWMS Thule Greenland; Immediate Supervisor: Dave Brown; Duties: Supervise installation of all shielding devises (sic) necessary to shield to 60 db the entire site, train men in methods, develop equipment to accomplish the installation; Reason for leaving: contract complete.
4. 12-6-1956 to 1-27-1959; Title: Steel Erection Supt, Peter Kiewit Sons Co; $1050.00/mo; Project: All steel erection contracted for by Peter Kiewit Sons Co. in Omaha area such as Mutual Benefit Ins Co Bldg, 34th & Farnum Sts, addition to home office of Union Pacific Railroad, South West Junior High School, plus many other small contracts too numerous to mention. Immedate Supervisor: Roy Brust; Duties: Supervise erection, schedule work & hire and fire the help. Reason for leaving: transferred to New York Dist to do shielding job in Greenland.
5. 5-1-1955 to 12-6-1956; Title: Structural Steel Supt, Kiewit Johnson & Johnson, Peter Kiewit Sons Co.; $1050.00/mo; Area: St Lawrence-Seaway Upstate NY; Project: Control Iroquois Dam on St Lawrence Seaway System; Immediate Supervisor: CG Metcalf; Duties: Unload & move to jobsite all gates, machinery & equip. Ass'y gantry cranes (2-275 ton capacity) store & supply to "hole" all resteel. Unload & move to jobsite (18 miles) all sheet piling. Store same & supply operations. Erect & supervise operation at concrete batch plant; Reason for leaving: transferred to Omaha for bldg erection.
6. 1-4-1954 to 5-1-1955; Title: Cell Housing Supt, Peter Kiewit Sons Co. Process Division; Salary: 1125.00/30 days; Project: Portsmouth Atomic Energy Plant; Immediate Supervisor: Ernie Coffman; Duties: Schedule materials into bldgs. Supervise & erection of same. Train crane operators, signal men, & coordinate proper crane signals as well as safe rigging methods. Trained & authorized use of power activated tools; Reason for leaving: (not stated)
7. 1-1-1950 to 1-4-1954; Title: Structural Steel Supt, Peter Kiewit Sons Co. a joint venture with Morrison Knudsen; $145.00/wk; Area: Riverdale, N.D.: Project: Garrison Dam; Immediate Supervisor: C. G. Metcalf; Duties: Supervise erection of concrete mixing batch plant & all connecting conveyors & aggregate receiving & storing facilities. Erect (2) gantry cranes & bridge trussel. All material handling & supervised the placing of all structural steel embedded items. Erected the service bridge to intake structure. Planned schedule & supervised removal of access bridge from access the Missouri River. Reason for leaving: transferred to Atomic Energy Plant in Ohio.
8. 9-1-1949 to 1-1-1950; Title: Structural Steel Supt, Peter Kiewit Sons Co; Salary: $105.00/week; Area: Albuquerque, N.M.; Project: Sandia Base Munitions Depot Storage Facility; Immediate Supervisor: C.G. Metcalf; Duties: Supervise erection of steel forms & schedule the concrete placing for same. Install explosion proof doors in loading corridors. Reason for leaving: job complete & transferred to Garrison Dam.
9. 12-15-1946 to 9-1-1949; Title: Steel erection Supt, Peter Kiewit Sons Co, Omaha, Nebr; Salary: Union Scale; Duties: I was called into Omaha Nebr to supervise the riveting, plumb-up and bolt-up of the new addition to Mutual Benefit Ins Co. Worked 1 year 9 months on this project & then supervised all Kiewit sons Co steel jobs in Omaha area until called to Albuquerque, N.M. Reason for leaving: called to Albuquerque, NM.
10. 7-15-1946 to 12-15-1946; Title: Journeyman ironworker, Sterns Rogers Mfg Co, Denver: Salary: Union Scale; Area: Scottsbluff, Nebr; Project: Powerhouse addition; Duties: Heating rivets; Reason for leaving: called to Omaha, Nebr.
12-24-1945 to 7-15-1946 Vacation
11. 4-1944 to 12-24-1945; Title: Ironworker foreman, Peter Kiewit Sons Co; Salary: Union Scale; Area: Laramie, Wyo; Project: Erection of new aluminum plant for defense plant in Laramie, Wyo; Immediate Supervisor: C.G. Metcalf; Duties: Supervise all welding & fabrication of misc iron & install same; Reason for leaving: Job completed & was asked to go to Scottsbluff & heat rivets for Sterns Rogers powerhouse erection.
12. 1-1-1944 to 4-1-1944; Title: Journeyman ironworker, J.F. Prichard Co. Kansas City; Salary: Union Scale; Area Omaha, Nebr; Project: Alcohol plant; Immediate Supervisor: Art Kayler; Duties: Layout & fabricate misc steel items; Reason for leaving: Called to Laramie, Wyo by Kiewit.
12-15-1943 to 1-1-1944 Vacation
13. 8-15-1943 to 12-15-1943; Title: Journeyman ironworker & layout Man, Peter Kiewit Sons Co; Salary: Union Scale; Area: Cheyenne, Wyo; Project: Erection of Modification Center; Immediate Supervisor: C.G. Metcalf; Duties: Fabricate & install all misc iron, install ornamental iron; Reason for leaving: Job complete.
14. 11-1-1942 to 8-15-1943; Title: Journeyman ironworker, Sound Construction, Peter Kiewit Sons Co; Salary: Union Scale; Area: Tillamook, Oregon; Project: Lighter than Air Base; Immediate Supervisor: C.G. Metcalf; Duties: Handle all welding & fabricate & install misc iron; Reason for leaving: Job complete.
15. 9-10-1942 to 11-1-1942; Title: Journeyman ironworker, Peter Kiewit Sons Co; Salary: Union Scale; Area: Cheyenne, Wyo; Project: Modification Center for defense effort; Immediate Supervisor: C.G. Metcalf; Duties: Fabricate & install all misc iron, plus install ornamental iron; Reason for leaving: Job complete and transferred to Tillamook, Oregon.
16. 2-1-1942 to 9-10-1942; Title: Journeyman ironworker, Peter Kiewit Sons, Co; Salary: Union Scale; Area: Parsons, Kansas; Project: Sunflower Ordinance Plant; Immediate Supervisor: C.G. Metcalf; Duties: Certified welder, cable splicing & detail work; Reason for leaving: Job complete & transferred to Cheyenne, Wyo.
17. 9-1-1941 to 12-23-1941; Title: Journeyman ironworker foreman, Austin Co; Salary: Union Scale; Area: Fort Worth, Texas; Project: Fort Worth Bomber Plant; Immediate Supervisor: Bill Zarifinetts; Duties: Erect overhead crane & erect administration ornamental entrance; Reason for leaving: Job completed.
18. 1-10-1941 to 9-1-1941; Title: Journeyman ironworker, Guthrie & Johnson (Al Johnson Construction Co); Salary: Union Scale: Area: Burlington, Iowa; Project: Iowa Ordinance Plant: Immediate Supervisor: John J. Jarvis; Duties: Certified welder; Reason for leaving: Job completed.
Author's note: I am not aware of what work my dad did prior to January 1941. I do know that my maternal grandparents, Ralph and Hazel Cary financed his training to become a welder. This probably took place in 1940, and the Burlington, Iowa job was probably his first after completing that training.
Next of Kin
Father: Claude L Craig; RR #2 Pittsburg, Kans Born: Oct 2,1888; Kansas near Molten; US
Mother: Goldie VanBuskirk Peck; 3718 W 227th St Torrance, Calif; Born: Nov 11, 1898; Kansas near Ft Scott; US
Wife: Betty Stockert Craig; 3718 Loftyview Dr Torrance, Calif; Born: Solen, N.D.; US
Daughter: Patricia Ann Craig Meier; Box 313 Gering Nebr Born: Ottumwa, Ia: US
Son: David V Craig; 107 Kansas City St Rapid City, S.D.; Born: Ottumwa, Ia; US
Daughter: Jerri Lynn Craig; 2623 Loftyview Dr Torrance, Calif Born: Portsmouth, Oh; US
Daughter: Jacqueline Marie Craig; 2623 Loftyview Dr Torrance, Calif Born: Ogdensburg, NY; US
Daughter: Roberta Lee Craig; 2623 Loftyview Dr Torrance, Calif Born: Omaha, Nebr; US
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids