The Rest of the Story: The Ancestors of Sarah May Paddock Otstott
|Home | Contact | Statistics | Index|
|Ealhswith, wife of Alfred the Great|
|Father:||Æthelred MUCILL ( - )|
|Mother:||Edburga OF MERCIA ( - )|
Individual Events and Attributes
|Occupation (1)||frm 23 Apr 0871 to 26 Oct 0899 (age 18-47)||wife of the King of Wessex|
|Occupation (2)||aft 28 Oct 0899 (age 46-47)||nun at St Mary's Abbey, Winchester|
|Death||5 Dec 0905 (est) (age 52-53)||Winchester|
|Burial||St Mary's Abbey, Winchester|
|Occupation (1)||In keeping with the tradition of the ninth century, she was not given the title "queen".|
|Statue of Alfred the Great, Winchester||Statue of Alfred the Great, Winchester||Statue of Alfred the Great at Wantage||Alfred the Great's white horse carved into chalk hills near Avebury, Wiltshire co. Carved as a symbol of allegiance to King Alfred after battle with the Vikings. Photo by Dana Otstott Shear 2012.|
|Edward the Elder|
|Spouse||Ælfred the Great OF WESSEX (849-899?)|
|Children||Edward I "The Elder" OF ENGLAND (871?-925)|
|Ælfthryth (Ethelswith) OF WESSEX ( -929)|
|Marriage||0868/69 (age 16-17)||Winchester|
Individual Note 1
Ealhswith or Ealswitha, (born c. 852 in Mercia, died 905) of the Gaini was the daughter of Æthelred Mucil, Ealdorman of the Gaini. She was married in 868, to Alfred the Great, king of Wessex.
Ealswith was the daughter of Æthelred and his wife Eadburh. She was related to the royal house of Mercia through her mother.
After Alfred's death in 899, Ealhswith became a nun. She died on 5 December 905, and is buried in St. Mary's Abbey, Winchester, Hampshire.
The children of Alfred and Ealhswith included:
- Æthelflæd (ca 869 - 912), Lady of the Mercians. Married Æthelred, Ealdorman of western Mercia in 889.
- Eadmund, Asser mentions Eadmund as a son of Alfred.
- Edward the Elder (ca 872-924), King of Wessex
- Elfreda, The book of Hydes mentions Elfreda as a daughter. She is not mentioned by Asser.
- Æthelgifu (?-896) Nun at Shaftesbury Abbey, Dorset, elected Abbess in 888
- Ælfthryth (877 - 929) Married Baldwin II, Count of Flanders.
- Æthelweard (Ethelward the Atheling) (880 - 920)
1 Giles, J. A. (trans.) (2000) Asser, Annals of the Reign of Alfred the Great (In parentheses Publications, Cambridge, Ontario), p. 11, via Medieval Lands 
2 Anglo-Saxon Chronicle, A, 905 , C, 902, and D, 905. Online version: 
3 Medieval Lands3
Individual Note 2
Her remains were later removed to Winchester Cathedral. Following her death, she was popularly reputed a saint.
Individual Note 3
The Nunnaminster, later known as St Mary's Abbey, was one of Winchester's three great Late Saxon royal monasteries. Founded by Queen Ealhswith, Alfred the Great's wife, in 903, it became one of the foremost centres of learning and art in England. In 964, the Nunnaminster, Old Minster, and New Minster were brought into a single enclosure to ensure isolation from the growing city. As part of this reorganisation, most of the monastery was rebuilt.
The Nunnery was rebuilt again after the Norman conquest, perhaps by AD 1100, by which time it was known as St Mary's Abbey. In the sixteenth century it was one of the largest religious houses in England. There were 26 Nuns in a total establishment of 102 persons - the latter including officials, servants and children of lords and gentlemen who were there to be educated.
In November 1539 the Abbey was surrendered to Henry VIII as part of the Dissolution of the Monasteries and most of the monastic buildings were demolished. The site was subsequently gifted to the City by Queen Mary Tudor to celebrate her marriage to Philip of Spain in the Cathedral in July 1554. The land was later divided into two, the eastern part was occupied by a fine town house and formal gardens that survive today as the Mayor of Winchester's official residence and public gardens. The western part of the site was cleared for the City's Guildhall in 1873. Between 1981-83 archaeological excavations were carried out on this site by the Archaeology Section of the Winchester Museums Service, revealing part of the Nunnaminster's fascinating history.
The earliest remains uncovered during the excavations were part of Ealhswith's Monastic church Circa 903 (Marked in red). Most of it had been destroyed by foundations of the later churches that were cut through it. The surviving walls suggest that the church was built of timber, resting on stone foundations. The nave was about 6.5m wide with a grand double-apsidal ceremonial entrance at the West Front. A tomb found in the southern apse may be that of St. Edburga. To the south of the church was a masonry base, perhaps for a monument or churchyard cross.
By 960 the Nunnaminster was said to be in a 'ruinous state'. As part of Bishop Ethelwold's reforms to the City's monasteries, the boundaries of the Nunnaminster were reorganised and the church rebuilt. Ethelwold's new church (Marked in red) was about the same size as Ealhswith's, but it was built of stone supported on broad foundations. inside the church was a feature thought to be a double tomb. To the South were the Cloisters, a feature apparently absent from the earlier monastery.
Following the conquest of 1066, the Nunnaminster was rebuilt in the Norman style of architecture, although the exact date of rebuilding is unknown. It may have been in 1068 when the Nunnaminster was rededicated as the Abbey of St Mary and St Edburga, or following the siege of Winchester in 1141 when the Abbey was said to have been damaged by fire. The new church was built on a grand scale, being almost three times as wide as its Saxon predecessors. The nave was flanked by the alternating large cruciform and circular drum columns.
The church formed the centre of the religious community and was open to the public. The cloister to the south was where contemplation took place and many of the nun's day to day activities occurred. The Abbess Lodgings are thought to have been located to the east of the church. The Abbey Mill Stream passed through the monastery to feed the fish ponds and power the Abbey Mill.
Much of the remaining area of the precinct was occupied by buildings required to serve the Abbey's needs.
The Abbey Mill, with the later addition of a Classical Portico, survives to this day and is used by the City Council as offices. Abbey House is also used as the Mayor of Winchester’s official residence.
|1||Weir, Alison, "Britain's Royal Families: The Complete Genealogy" (Vintage, 2008). p 10.|
|2||Weis, Frederick Lewis & Sheppard, Walter Lee, Jr, "Ancestral Roots of Certain American Colonists Who Came to America before 1700: Lineages from Alfred the Great, Charlemagne, Malcolm of Scotland, Robert the Strong, and other Historical Individuals". p 1, 1-14; 156, 162-17.|
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids