Whilst carrying out
research at Portlaoise local history library in August
2006 I came across a set of folk stories from The
Rushes area near Ballickmoyler:
- Whitefoot oath —
version given by an informer to H. B. Wray,
- Queen's County Police, Jan
Whitefoot Oath of Allegiance
- 1st. I solmly sware to be loyall and true to the New
- 2nd. I sware, I will to the best of my power, Cut
Down Kings, Queens and Princes, Duks, Earls, Lords, and
all such with Land Jobin and herrisy.
- 3rd. I sware that I will never Pity the moans or
groans of the Dying, from the Cradell to the Crutch,
and that I will wade knee Deep in Orange Blood.
- 4th. I sware I am to Bear My right arm to be Cut of
and trow over the left shoulder and nailed to the
traples Door of Armagh before I will way lay or betray
or go in to any Court to Prosecute a Brother, known him
to be such.
- 5th. I sware I will go 10 miles on foot and 15 Miles
on horse back in five minutes warning.
- 6th. I sware I will give Money to Purchase and
repair fire arms ammunition and the Like, and every
other weapon that may Be wanting.
- 7th. I sware I never will tell the man's name nor
the man's name that stood By making me a Ribbonman or
Whitefoot to any one under the Cannopy of heaven, not
even to Priest, Bishop, or any in the Church.
- 8th. I sware I will not stand to hear hell or
confusion Drank to a whitefoot or Ribbonman without
resisting the same or quitting the Company.
- 9th. I sware I never will Keep a robber's company
Nor harbour him, except for fire Arms
- 10th. I sware I will not make foul freedom with a
Brother's wife or Sister Known them to be as Such.
- 11th. I sware I will not Keep the second Coat or the
Second Shilling and a Brother to Be in want or relief,
Known him to be as Such.
- 12th. I sware I will not Be present at the Making of
a ribbonman or White foot without Proper orders from
- In pursuance of this Spirituall Oblagation
Ribbonmen: a member of a Roman Catholic secret
society founded in Ireland in 1808 in opposition to the
John Sharp c1811-1863
Source: Portlaoise local
history library - Tom LaPorte Jan2007
Please report any faults on the page to
information contained in these pages is provided solely for the
purpose of sharing with others researching their ancestors in
© Michael Brennan July 2001. All Rights