Search billions of records on


This page belongs to greg krenzelok.


Robert (Bob) Krenzelok entered Military service on June 8th 1943; he was 18 years old at the time. He went into the Army Air Force and was in the Air Cadet program where his training choices were to become a pilot, bombardier or a navigator at the beginning of his Cadet training. After graduating at Santa Ana Preflight school most of the training programs were shut down due to the surplus of pilots, bombardiers and navigators. He then went to Amarillo Texas where there were opennings for B-29 flight engineers training. Bob is wearing his Officer's type uniform here in this picture.


Honor Squadron 22, Pre-flight school, Santa Ana Army Air Base, September 12, 1944. Lt. W.F. Johnson Commanding

Robert Krenzelok second row down from the top left ( Look for red dot) Honor Squadron 22, Preflight school . Lt. W. F. Johnson Commanding, Santa Ana, California, Army Air Base. September 12 1944. This picture is 10x26 inches, look for the link below to view a larger image.

Close-up of the above picture. Robert Krenzelok (red dot)

Click on the below link to view a large image of the above picture taken a Preflight School at Santa Ana California

Robert Krenzelok Preflight School at Santa Ana Ca 1944


Robert Krenzelok (Center Red Dot) taken at Springfield, Missouri at the 2600th AAF Base Unit College Training, Aircrew (South West Missouri Teacher College). In my research I have recently discovered a picture just like this with a different Squadron number and it was clearly taken in the gym area where the cadets bunked. I have a lot of new information on the 2600th AAF Base Unit College Training (South West Missouri Teacher College) and as time permits I will post it.

This last summer I took the above picture out of its frame and discovered that it was signed by all of Bob's fellow Cadet's. Bob had forgotten about this many years ago and was overwhelmed to once again see and remember the men he served with during World War 2. I was also overwhelmed to be there with my dad as we tried to remember those who had signed the picture. It was a wonderful discovery!

Click on the below link to view a larger image of the above picture

2600th AAF Base Unit College Training, Aircrew (South West Missouri Teacher College).


By the early 1940s, however, the Army Air Corps faced another war and was again short of flyers. In June 1941, Congress created the grade of aviation cadet, and the Army launched a massive flight-training program. Within two years, its annual output would soar to more than 65,700 pilots, 16,000 bombardiers, and 15,900 navigators. In time, the cadet program would expand to train non rated officers in such fields as communications, armament, weather, and radar.

To get that many applicants, the Army had to lower its age and education requirements. Physical requirements remained high, but medical examiners tended to be lenient. Passing the physical made you only "aviation cadet candidates? You now would have to pass the following tests: The written exams were easy, but the psychomotor tests, designed to measure coordination, were not. You had to operate make-believe aircraft controls while flashing lights and loud buzzers announced your every mistake. If you passed you would then be qualified for all three types of training-pilot, bombardier, and navigator. Now officially aviation cadets, you drew $75 per month, the rate of privates on flight status. Our uniform was Government Issue for officers, except for the cap, which had a Blue or Brown band and the Air Corps winged propeller instead of the eagle.

This is the insignia of a Aviation Cadet. Officers wear a very similar insignia on collars below the US insignia

Preflight was a ten-week combination of enlisted basic training and Officer Candidate School, with a thin topping of West Point tradition. A handful of non-rated "tactical officers" and noncoms ran things, but upperclassmen administered most of the discipline. With comic precision, the cadets marched everywhere, squaring their comers at every turn. They responded to questioning with clipped, shouted answers. They were addressed as "Mister," a term that upperclassmen could make sound like profanity. For minor infractions, they were ordered to "hit a brace," an exaggerated attention that caused the body to quiver and produce several chins. For more serious crimes, such as being late for formation, they would "walked tours" on the parade ground during what was supposed to be their free time. The class system allowed the school to operate with a relatively small staff and, in theory, gave the upperclassmen useful training in command. In practice, it was little more than a license to bully. What worked at West Point, where the classes were divided by as much as three years, made no sense where they were only a few weeks apart.

When men applied for cadet training, they swore they were single and would not marry during training, but some cadets broke the vow. Center officials maintained the fiction that all female visitors were mothers or sisters.

Preflight academics included refresher courses in physics (twenty-four hours) and math (twenty hours) and classes in map reading (eighteen hours), aircraft recognition (thirty hours), and code (forty-eight hours). Gaps in the schedule were filled with more code classes, though most cadets never found a use for that skill.

The Cadets also had daily physical and military training. The former included a choreographed routine of side-straddle hops called the "Randolph Shuffle." The latter involved everything from squad drill to formal wing parades. As officer trainees, they supposedly were exempt from menial tasks, but when the mess hall was shorthanded, some of the cadets were tapped for KP. If a cadet protested this inappropriate use of future officers, a tactical officer told him he had been chosen for additional training in mess management and sent him off with the rest of the KPs. They also stood guard duty, carrying World War I rifles and no ammunition. Although the center had nothing to interest a saboteur, the Army took guard duty seriously.

Anne's husband Dave Closs, Ed, Bob and Joe Krenzelok in back of the Ladysmith Bakery around the time of their sister Bette's death 1945.


After being turned down the first time to join the Army Air Force Cadet program Bob and his friend Tom Brockbank decided to go to Ashland Wisconsin for radio training. It was a 18 month course that closed down after they attended for 6 months. They would have been commissioned officer's in the Army Signal Corp when completed.

Bob's applies for a second time, passes the test for the Army Air Force Cadet Program and goes back home to Ladysmith and waits for his orders.

St. Louis, Missouri - Basic training the first step in the Cadet program

2600th AAF Base Unit College Training (S.W. Missouri Teacher College) This was officer's training College for Bob. He was taught to be and act as an officer here.

Glendale, Arizona - Advance fighter flying School. Bob spent time here in Online Training a fancy name they gave you when they didn't know where to send you. He was waiting for an opening in a Preflight School.

Preflight School Cadet Training School. It would have been here after graduation that you would then go on to Pilot, navigator or bombardier training schools that were across the country.

Kirtland Field, New Mexico - Very Heavy Bomber School. Bob was here doing more online training waiting for an asignment.

Colorado. Pilot advanced flight training School . More online training for Bob still waiting for an asignment.

Amarillo Texas, Basic troop training and Mechanic School #12. Bob went to Amarillo for training as a B-29 flight engineer. End of training the war is over and the men go home.


< >

NOTE: Taped in the summer of 2003 at Walnut Creek California by Robert's son Greg and grandson sitting Co-pilot; Marcel Krenzelok

Robert Krenzelok was an Army Air Force Cadet in the Second World War. He decided that the Army Air Force was for him, in during his part for his country in that war. He hoped to be a pilot, navigator or a bombardier. These were the choices of a young Air cadet. And most where shooting for the glory of being a pilot but most became navigators, bombardiers, flight engineers, gunners or other air crewman needed for the war effort. Many of the Cadets washed out of the program and went on to other training schools. Only the best would be considered for the positions of Pilot, Co-pilot, navigator or Bombardier. And as training continued the best men for each position were chosen. And each man would continue on to a training school for the chosen position.

Bob's first attempt to become an Air Cadet failed. Bob and a good friend Tom Brockbank decided that they had to get into this war in doing their part to help out their country against the threat of Germany and Japan. They hopped on the Soo line in Ladysmith in 1943 and were on their way to Minneapolis to sign up in the Army Air Force. Once in Minneapolis they made their way to the recruitment office where they took their entrance exam and both fail the eye exam. Both were crushed at their attempt to become an Army Air Force Cadet. They went back home to Ladysmith to figure out their next move. Both men were interested in a commissioned position they would make them officers. They decided that their next best shot would be going to the Enlisted Reserve Signal Corp Radio School in Ashland Wisconsin. So off they went to Ashland and enrolled in an 18-month training program that would give them a commissioned Officer's position in the US Army Signal Corp. They completed 6 months of training before the program closed down. It is unknown why the program was closed down. So it was back home to ponder what to do next.

Bob still had his heart set on the Army Air Corp and this time without his friend Tom again sign up for the Army Cadet program this time in Wisconsin. He once again failed the entrance exam this time because his teeth were not in good shape. This wasn't going to stop him this time and immediately he went to a Dentist who fixed the problem. Bob went back and passed the entrance exam. Bob was now in and soon to become an Army Air Cadet. Bob went back home and waited for his orders. It took 6 months to get his orders to report to Camp Sheridan, Illinois. On January 17th 1944 he was on the train and reported at Camp Sheridan. The new recruits were met at the depot they were put in buses and went out to the camp. Bob felt good! When they arrived at the camp Bob remembers nothing but confusion everywhere! Men going here, men going there, Bob got in a line and signed in. Bob was given an enlisted man's uniform and was very concerned about this because an enlisted man's uniform was not part of the Cadet program where he thought he would be issued an Officer's type uniform. But because of all the confusion there was not much you could do. Bob sat down to his first meal in the military, Shit on a shingle which is Corn Beef in gravy on toast. He would enjoy eating this for many years after being out of his military service. He spent his first night at Camp Sheridan and the next day they shipped out to Jefferson Barrack Missouri for his Basic Training.

Robert's discharge papers


After 1936 the Fort, like others across the country, prepared itself for the possibility that the United States might enter the war in Europe. When the peacetime draft was instituted in 1940, Fort Sheridan became one of four Recruit Reception Centers in the country and was expanded to receive masses of new selectees and recruits from Illinois and other states. Soldiers were received at the Recruit Reception Center, known to the men as "Boomtown," located at the south end of the post. In order to accommodate the heavy influx of new recruits, numerous temporary prefabricated buildings were constructed.41 When the physical requirement for the soldiers became more strenuous, an increased training program was established. Part of that training involved setting up and utilizing an elaborate infiltra-tion course at the post, designed to take soldiers through a simulated battlefield. The infiltration course became a standard training device during World War II.

Bob reports for duty on January 17th 1944. I took the train from Ladysmith to the station just outside Fort Sheridan. When we arrived at the station there was mast confusion everywhere. They met us at the station and the sergeants started shouting up us to do this and do that. We were put on buses that took us out to Fort Sheridan. Once there we got in long lines where we checked in for duty. We were issued a uniform with an overseas cap. We went through orientation and were told we would ship out tomorrow for Jefferson Barracks for your Basic soldier training. We had dinner for the first time in the Army that was called ? Shit on a shingle? which is Corn Beef in gravy on toast. That night we slept in the barracks each man wondering what he had gotten himself into. The next day we shipped out on the train to Jefferson Barracks Missouri for Basic training. We had no idea what we were in for but we were in the Army now like it or not and there was no going back. Look above Bob's discharge papers for more on being at Fort Sheridan.

Click on the below link for more pictures of Fort Sheridan

Fort Sheridan Pictures WW2


Jefferson Barracks train station. Bob would get off here on the train from Fort Sheridan.

We arrived at Jefferson Barrack for Basic training. Usually the basic training for a soldier was 12 weeks but being Cadets we were put in " Special training " a 6 week program specially designed for the Air Cadets. At least we were happy about that, knowing the basic training was going to be hell on earth. And your sergeant would make sure it was. After we arrived at the station and walked (I wouldn't call it a MARCH, because we were far from trained, seasoned soldiers at that stage) about a mile through the camp, being greeted by cheerful little epithets as we went past occupied barracks, like, "You ain't gonna' like it here!" and "You'll be sorry!". We finally stopped at what would be "Home, Sweet Home!" for the next month and a half. Army tents, each equipped with a coal burning heater stove, a wooden floor, and cots for 4 to 8 men. After settling in and before I went to bed that first night I stuck my head out of the tent to a cloud of coal smoke. It was a very cold January night. Because of its position close to the Mississippi river and the extreme winter cold, damp air, it had acquired the correct name "pneumonia gulch".

The first cadets to arrive at the camp had built the wooden huts. They must have been patterned after hot dog stands at the county fair. Three walls had double bunks; the door was on the other wall. In the center stood a sheet metal stove about the size of a large wastebasket, plus a bucket of water. The eight windows were just screens with a hinged wooden flap to cover them when closed. The front door was screened with the opaque plastic covering. The floor planks did not butt together, and the dirt fell through the gaps before you could sweep them out the door. The heating system was a small coal-burning stove. The fire wouldn't burn all night so consequently the mop would always freeze in the mop bucket. We had to walk close to a block to get to the combination shower and restroom facilities. The only safe time to have any warm water was at night after everyone was in bed.

Everyone caught a cold. We would march for what seemed like miles to the mess hall, and for what seemed like miles to where we would be drilled on close-order marching or for calisthenics. The mess hall was a large facility wherein at each meal they served some twenty-five hundred men. I don't recall any of the meals other then they were eatable, if one wasn't too finicky. When on mess hall duty, we were awakened at 2:30 am, marched over to the mess hall and were assigned various duties for the three meals served. After each meal was finished and all areas cleaned, ready for the next meal, they wouldn't let us sit down and rest. We were sent out to police the grounds, pick up all the trash, butts, and etc. Getting back to the barracks about nine-ish at night, and if you were lucky some kind soul got your mail as no one was permitted to leave KP for mail call.

Until I arrived at Jefferson Barracks profanity was something I was aware of, but barely. There was a little around the lumberyard back home, but then used judiciously to make a conversation more effective--kind of like adding a bit of ketchup to a hamburger. But at Jefferson Barracks or JB as it was called, the drill instructors all literally smothered their conversation with profanity. At first I was shocked, but it soon became a way of life.

Along with several introduction classes we had to attend a class on sex education which was very disturbing to many fellows. It was held in a tent the size of a three ring circus tent with seating in the middle, bleachers on the sides, with a platform at one end. I remember a doctor speaking who had a medical practice down in the South . . .Louisiana I think. He showed us from his collection of 35mm slides taken concerning gonorrhea and syphilis patients. A naked patient was set on a bar stool with their body parts exposed and were vividly shown what the diseases were doing to that individual ,open boils, pus sacs, etc. There were guys running for the outdoors puking on the run, even some fellows had passed out in their seats. I never knew whether it was from weak stomachs or a guilty conscious. It sure impressed me. If you didn't know how to bitch, cuss, and complain before arriving there you soon became adept at it.

We met our Drill Instructor the next morning, and soon developed a deep, deep hatred for the S. O. B.! Weather in January in St. Louis is very changeable. Could be warm and sunny one-day, and the next morning 3 or 4 inches of snow on the ground. My first night in the Army was spent in a tent-like-hut with eight strangers who were also hoping to become cadets. At basic training we learned military discipline, got our shots, took rifle range with turn of the century Springfield rifles and .45 caliber revolvers, took classes in poison gas, bayonet practice, booby traps, marched around with wooden rifles sawed out of 2x4's and etc., took bivouac and marched, stood on the parade grounds and took plenty of PT (physical training).

Another physical exam practice in those years was a surprise early morning "short arm" inspection. All the guys would be rousted out before reveille only wearing nothing but shoes and a raincoat. The doc would go down the line checking for venereal disease. Very humiliating. But probably worse for the doc

The above picture of Robert at Jefferson Barracks during his basic training has been lost in the family for a long time and has been found by his son Bob. It is with great joy that we are posting this picture. Thank you Bob for finding it for us.

Click on the below link to view a larger above picture

Robert Krenzelok Basic Training at Jefferson Barracks WW2

Note: Bob's sister Anne says she had the framed picture of her brother Robert and friend dressed in combat gear and was hanging on her wall until it disappeared.

Eventually we did leave; anywhere but Missouri we hoped !!!

Bob sums his stay at Jefferson barrack's as " Miserable "


After his basic training at Jefferson barracks he was shipped to Springfield Missouri to a College that had been converted to a Air Force Cadet College. This was called " College Detachment " by the Army Air Force. Bob and the other cadets were shipped to Springfield on the train and after checking in the men were now issured a Officer's type Cadet uniform. Bob was relieved and very pleased! He and the other men would be bunking in a converted gymnasium.

Because the requirement for two years of college for cadet training had to be dropped due to a shortage of qualified people, the CTD was developed to give us an accelerated course in the basics of math, physics, etc. Actually the Air Force was pooling its reservoir of cadets to protect them from duty with the other services and keep a steady supply for its own programs. More than 150 colleges were used at the peak with about 60,000 men. The program phased out in July, 1944 due to public criticism about protecting cadet candidates while other persons were being quickly trained for combat.

Above left picture: Bob in his finally issued Officer's type uniform. This uniform was the same as a regular Officer uniform except there was no stripe on the sleeves. Right picture: Bob on the right with a fellow cadet friend clowning around between classes. Taken at Springfield , Missouri College Detachment 1944

I am sure Bob had a donut and a cup of coffee when he came into the train station

Bob at Springfield College Deattachment

Click on the below link for more pictures of the Springfield, Missouri College Detachment School

Springfield, Missouri College pictures


Luke Field Main Gate

Luke Field Main Tower

Luke Field

Luke Field AT - 6 trainer planes

Pass from Luke Field


The Santa Ana Army Air Base was under the jurisdiction of the West Coast Army Air Corps Training Command Center Headquarters, located on West 8th Street in Santa Ana, California. SAAAB was the only base to give pilot, navigator and bombardier "Pre-flight " training. The other two centers in the United States Army Air Force were Southeast Army Air Corps-Training Center at Maxwell Field, Montgomery, Alabama and the Gulf Coast Army Air Corps Center was at Randolph Field, San Antonio, TX. These two centers were activated on July 8, 1940. Until June 20, 1941, the Air Arm of the Army, was known as the "Army Air Corps."

All three bases were "Classification Centers", where the aspiring Cadets were classified as Pilots, Navigators or Bombardiers. The Santa Ana Army Air Base was the largest of the three bases.

Where the Santa Ana Army Air Base was originally located, the following entities were established: Orange Coast College, Southern California College, Costa Mesa High School, Maude Davis School, the City of Costa Mesa Civic Center, the Air National Guard Recruiting Office and the Air National Guard 222nd Combat Communications Squadron, the Orange County/State Fairgrounds, commercial and residential areas.

Offical Ground Breaking October 23. 1941 Activation Date February 23,1942 Deactivation Date March 31,1946 Size of Base 1,336.685 Acres. Location of Base Main entrance at Newport Boulevard; Baker Street on the north, Harbor Blvd. on the west, Wilson Street on the south, Newport Blvd. on the east Buildings Approximately 800 (including 1,357,120 sq ft of barracks) 28 Convalescent Hospital Wards, 18 School Buildings, 155,000 sq ft of Administration buildings, 4 Chapels, 4 Theaters Utilities Water system adequate for 40,000 people with 33 miles of water main lines, 28 miles of sewer lines Maximum Number of Personnel 26,000 Air Force personnel, (excluding civilian personnel)

Primary Function Classification and pre-flight training for pilots, navigators and bombardiers - Approximately 149,400 entered the training, about 128,000 graduated. February 15, 1942 To October 31,1944.

Redistribution Center - Over 72,000 combat returnees processed between November 1, 1944 and March 31, 1946.

Temporary Separation Center - Over 38,000 combat veteran plus other veterans discharged from the base between September 14, 1945 and March 31, 1946

Santa Ana Air Base from the air

Cadet Robert Krenzelok's Santa Ana preflight school subjects and grades


On January 7, 1941, construction began on the Albuquerque Army Air Base. By late 1941, the Bombardier School-Army Advanced Flying School had opened at Albuquerque Army Air Base and in 1942, training was expanded to include B-24s and AT-11 aircraft. In February 1942, Albuquerque Army Air Base was renamed Kirtland Field for Colonel Roy S. Kirtland, one of the earliest military pilots in the Army. Later that year, the Army Air Forces acquired Oxnard Field (approximately 11,000 acres to the east of Kirtland Field), and construction began on the Albuquerque Air Depot Training Station, a training depot for aircraft mechanics. On April 24, 1943, 4667 acres of the Cibola National Forest adjacent to Kirtland Field were withdrawn from public use "for use in connection with the prosecution of the war."

During World War II, Kirtland Field was used as a bombardier training school, flight training schools, an aviation mechanics school, a navigator school, and a ground school for glider pilots. Also, because Kirtland Field was the closest airport facility to Los Alamos, its runways and a bomb loading pit were used to support the Los Alamos program during 1944 and 1945.

In mid-1944, part of the Kirtland Field became the Army Air Forces Convalescent Center, with barracks and support facilities for wounded pilots and crewmen who were recovering from surgery and other wartime injuries. The Convalescent Center was subsequently closed during April 1945, and the facility again became an Army Air Field. At the end of World War II (WWII), the air field began to receive war-weary and surplus military aircraft. Temporary tow roads and parking spaces were graded on the surrounding mesa land. Kirtland Field had not only become significant to the military community, but to the local community and economy as well. By the end of the war, Kirtland Field had 402 buildings, 82 of which were wartime housing units that had been transferred to Kirtland's jurisdiction in November of 1943. Some of the WWII-era buildings, including the non-commissioned officers' quarters, remain in use at KAFB, although they have been greatly modified and modernized

This airbase was created in World War II as a training base for B-25 pilots. At the peak of it's service, approximately 100 aircraft were in use. In addition to training American pilots, a large group of Chinese pilots also trained here. The large military complex was shut down after the war ended, in 1946, and the airport was turned over to civilian control. Many of the long barracks buildings became houses and garages in La Junta. The former base hospital was moved to it's present location and is now the FBO building. A flight service station operated here for many years, but that, too, was shut down in the late 1980's and Denver took over those duties.

HISTORY: AMARILLO AIR FORCE BASE. Amarillo Air Force Base, originally Amarillo Army Air Field, was activated in April 1942 and formally named an army air field in May. It was eleven miles east of Amarillo on a 1,523-acre tract of land adjacent to English Field, a commercial airfield serving the Panhandle. Col. Edward C. Black, the first commanding officer, arrived in April 1942 with the first cadre of troops. Construction was only half completed when the first classes were begun in September 1942. The field, one of the largest installations in the Western Technical Training Command, was established for training of air crew and ground mechanics to service B-17 aircraft. From 1943 to 1945 basic training and special courses of instruction were conducted, and the school was later designated to train technicians for B-29 aircraft in addition to the B-17 technical training. Flying operations were also inaugurated. The field was closed on September 15, 1946, and its buildings were converted to peacetime uses or destroyed.

The base was reactivated as Amarillo Air Force Base in March 1951 and became the first air force all-jet mechanic-training base. In December 1951 the first trainees from foreign countries arrived. By 1952 the program reached a planned maximum of 3,500 students. Mechanic training continued throughout 1953 and 1954 and included a course on the B-47 jet bomber. The base was declared a permanent installation in 1954. Four new courses were added a year later, and the number of students climbed to about 5,000. When the two-phase system of basic training began in 1956, Amarillo Air Force Base was selected as one of the bases to administer the technical second phase. The base continued to grow in the late 1950s. In 1957 a missile-training department was established, and facilities were expanded to accommodate an air wing of the Strategic Air Command. In July 1958 a supply and administration school previously stationed in Wyoming was moved to the Amarillo base. The base was redesignated Amarillo Technical Training Center in 1959, when the 4128th Strategic Air Wing concluded a joint-tenancy agreement with Air Training Command.

By May 1960 the jet-mechanic school had graduated 100,000 students. At that time Amarillo was the site of all Air Training Command resident training in administrative, procurement, and supply fields; it continued to train thousands of jet aircraft mechanics, jet engine mechanics, and air-frame repairmen. The center changed in February 1966 with the formation of the 3330th Basic Military School. A personnel-processing squadron was added the same month to support the school. In 1967 the center's facilities covered 5,273 acres and had about 16,300 assigned personnel.

By 1964 the United States Department of Defense had decided to close the base. The last class was graduated on December 11, 1968, and the base was deactivated on December 31, 1968. The closing damaged the economy of Amarillo. On September 2, 1970, the Amarillo branch of Texas State Technical Institute was opened on the former base grounds. Another part of the base was used for the Amarillo Air Terminal, which opened on May 17, 1971

Front gate at Amarillo Army Air Field 1944

Amarillo Army Air Field raising the flag

Amarillo Air Tower

Amarillo Army Air Field. Bob right with his buddies

Amarillo Army Air Field. Bob right with his buddies. It looks like hard duty for these boys

Cockpit of a B-29

B-29 Flight engineer's panel. Bob was training for this position

B-29 Flight engineers panel. The flight engineer control the props and fuel

Being on a B-29 was not like serving on a B-17 or B-24 they had nothing like this.

The B-29 tunnel for going back to the tail of the plane. Dad told me that if you lost cabin presure from a damaged plane you could shootout of the tunnel if you were in it at the time.

After graduating Preflight school at Santa Air California the Officer's type uniforms were taken away because the cadet program was winding down. This was the " Worst day of my military serve " Bob says. He was discharged with the above enlisted man's uniform that he has today. On Christmas of 2003 I purchased an Cadet's Officer's uniform for my dad. He was pleased and his eyes lighted up at the sight of it.

It is hard to tell from the pictures but the uniform is a light brown in color.

Cadet's Officer's type uniform that we purchase for Dad for Christmas 2003. This is an exact copy of the Officer's uniform Robert had and is wearing up the top of this page.

Cadet's Officer's typy uniform that we purchase for Dad for Christmas 2003


Boeing submitted the prototype for the B-29 long-range heavy bomber to the Army in 1939, before the United States entered World War II. The B-29 had many new features, including guns that could be fired by remote control. The crew areas were pressurized and connected by a long tube over the bomb bays. The tail gunner had a separate pressurized area that could only be left during unpressurized flight. The B-29 was also the heaviest production plane because of increases in range, bomb load and defensive requirements.

Posted July 28 2003 - Robert Krenzelok and his son's John, Greg and a few grandchildren went to Travis Air Force Base in Northern California to check out the B-29 they had on display. Robert and a great time checking out the plane he finally trained on as a Cadet. Robert said " I have not seen one for 60 years and it sure is good to see one again" and it brought back a lot of memories.

Click on the below link for more pictures of our trip to Travis Air Force Base to see the B 29

Travis Air Force Base B 29 Pictures


Click on the below link

The Army Air Corps Song

By Robert Crawford

Off we go into the wild blue yonder,

Climbing high into the sun;

Here they come zooming to meet our thunder,

At 'em boys, Give 'er the gun! (Give 'er the gun now!)

Down we dive, spouting our flame from under,

Off with one helluva roar!

We live in fame or go down in flame. (Shout!)

Nothing'll stop the Army Air Corps!

Minds of men fashioned a crate of thunder,

Sent it high into the blue;

Hands of men blasted the world asunder;

How they lived God only knew! (God only knew then!)

Souls of men dreaming of skies to conquer

Gave us wings, ever to soar!

With scouts before and bombers galore. (Shout!)

Nothing'll stop the Army Air Corps!

Here's a toast to the host

Of those who love the vastness of the sky,

To a friend we send a message of his brother men who fly.

We drink to those who gave their all of old,

Then down we roar to score the rainbow's pot of gold.

A toast to the host of men we boast, the Army Air Corps!

Off we go into the wild sky yonder,

Keep the wings level and true;

If you'd live to be a grey-haired wonder

Keep the nose out of the blue! (Out of the blue, boy!)

Flying men, guarding the nation's border,

We'll be there, followed by more!

In echelon we carry on. (Shout!)

Nothing'll stop the Army Air Corps!

Robert sang this song to all of his children when taking them to bed. And all of his children will always have very fond memories of our dad and this song.

Click on the below Links:

Mgt. Sergeant Joseph E. Krenzelok, AAF WW2

Krenzelok website Homepage

Contact US - Related Links - Ladysmith - Our Relatives in Poland - Paul and Elizabeth - Frances - Anne - Paul - Joseph - Joseph Military - Bette - Robert - Robert Military - Edward - Dolores - Lillian - Kronprinzessin Cecilie - Kronprinzessin Cecilie 2 - Ellis Island - The Post - The Bakery - Our Wyoming Krenzelok - History - The Steerage Experience - Family Pictures - Family Pictures 2 - Family Pictures 3 - Family Pictures 4