The Family History of James Watts
of Cumberland and Northumberland Counties, Pennsylvania
115. Robert Thomas5 Watts (William4, John3, Francis2, James1) He was born about 1849 in PA. During the 1880 census his occupation was listed as painter. He was married to Jane Elizabeth Bonnell in 1869. She was born about 1852 in PA. She is believed to be the Jane Watts recorded in the 1910 census in Canton as the mother of two children, a private nurse, owning her own home, free of mortgage.
|217.||i||Ada (Addie)6 Watts born about 1872, Canton Township, Bradford Co., PA., married Byron Hugh Crawford.|
122. David Roine5 Watts (John B.4, John3, Francis2, James1) He was born 6 June 1851 at Bradford Co., PA, and died at Ottumwa, IA, on 30 April 1931. He married Nancy Delilah Williams on 6 November 1872 at Schuyler Co., MO. She was born on 11 December 1851 at Kirksville, MO, and died 13 October 1948 at Ottumwa, IA. Her parents were James Williams and Delilah Long.
|219.||i||David M.6 Watts born 1 October 1873, married Mary Gordon.|
|+||220.||ii||John Francis Watts born 29 August 1874, Schuyler Co., MO, died 30 December 1946 at Ottumwa, IA.|
|221.||iii||Willie Watts born 31 January 1878, Williamsport, IA, died 18 August 1879, Whallen, IA.|
|222.||iv||Mary Isabelle Watts born 18 November 1880, Schuyler Co., MO, died 13 May 1896, Ottumwa, IA|
|223.||v||Harry Watts born 27 April 1886, Ottumwa, IA, died 26 December 1959, married Pearl Gordon.|
|224.||vi||Veola Watts born 20 January 1894, Floris, IA, died 24 August 1983, Chariton, IA, married 19 January 1914 to Charles Galey at Tulsa, OK.|
130. Catherine5 Watts (Thomas Murray4, John3, Francis2, James1) She was born in 1856. She married Melville Barnes in 1875. He was born in 1848 and died in 1903. 
|225.||i||Edith Catherine6 Barnes born in Granville Township, Bradford Co., PA., residing in Canton in 1910.|
|226.||ii||Maud Eleanor Barnes born in Granville Township, Bradford Co., PA., residing in Canton in 1910.|
131. Thomas Wilson5 Watts (Thomas Murray4, John3, Francis2, James1) He was born on 21 July 1859 at Granville, Bradford Co., PA. He died at Elmira, NY, on 20 April 1947. In 1910, his occupation was grocer working in general grocery. He owned his own home, free of mortgage. He was married to Elizabeth (Libbie) Morse Smith on 23 July 1879. She was born on 7 April 1860 at LeRoy, PA. She died at Canton, PA, on 10 April 1912.
|+||227.||i||Blanche N.6 Watts born 6 September 1881 at Granville Township, Bradford Co., PA.|
|228.||ii||Genevieve J. Watts born 12 January 1887 at Grandville Township, Bradford Co., PA, resident of Canton, occupation stenographer, on 10 December 1909 married at age 22 to Ernest M. Straight at Canton, age 25 (born about 1884), of Troy, occupation machinist, son of Chas. S. Straight and Alice W. Her second marriage was to Mahlon Louis Gore (born 4 February 1877) on 30 October 1916 at Glenora, NY.|
|229.||iii||Lula E. Watts born about 1891 at Granville Township, Bradford Co., PA, resident of Canton, occupation bookkeeper, on 8 October 1912 married at age 21 to Ira G. Chamberlain, age 22 (born about 1890), of Canton, occupation clerk, son of George N. Chamberlain and Francis, married second to James W. May.|
133. Floyd S.5 Watts (Robert A.4, John3, Francis2, James1) He was born about March 1850 in PA. He married Adelia [-?-], born in May 1849 in PA. During the 1900 census, Floyd worked as a laborer on the streets and the family rented their home in Canton. In 1910, Adelia was recorded as living with both of her daughter's family, being a widow, mother of three children, two still living.
|+||230.||i||Minnie 6 Watts born in September 1875 in PA.|
|+||231.||ii||Electa Wattsborn about 1877 in PA.|
135. Charles F.5 Watts (Robert A.4, John3, Francis2, James1) He was born about 1866 in Canton Township, Bradford County, PA. He worked as a laborer. He was married by Chas. M. Hall on 1 September 1886 to Jennie Hunter. She was born about 1864. Her father was James Hunter, a farmer. 
|233.||i||J. Ernest6 Watts born about 1892 at Canton Township, married by Rev. P. J. Dunkau at Canton on 12 April 1915 to Maude K. Rockwell. She was born about 1891 at Driftwood, Cameron County, PA. Her parents were William J. Rockwell and Helen Daud. She was a teacher at the time of her marriage.|
|234.||ii||Perry V. Watts born about 1894 at Canton Township, a farmer, married by Rev. H. Wallace Cadwell at Canton on 29 April 1915 to Dena Ameigh. She was born about 1896 at South Creek Township. Her parents were F. W. Ameigh and Nettie Collins. At the time of the marriage, she worked as a laborer.|
|235.||iii||Jessie Legran Wattsborn 12 May 1895.|
|236.||iv||Clara Beatrice Watts born 18 July 1896.|
136. Cory (Carey) A.5 Watts (Robert A.4, John3, Francis2, James1) According to the 1900 census, he was born in June 1871 in PA. In the 1900 census, his occupation was listed as farmer. The family owned a farm free of mortgage. His father, Robert A. Watts, was living with the family in Canton in 1900.
He was married about 1890 to Clara E. [-?-] She was born about August 1871 in PA. According to the records of his second marriage, she died 4 October 1906. But a review of the Register of Deaths for Bradford County, show the only death record for a Clara Watts in that time period to have been on 13 October 1904 with burial at Park Cemetery on 16 October. The Clara Watts recorded in the Register of Deaths was born about 1871 in Liberty, PA., and had been ill with dropsy for five months prior to her death.
He was married a second time on 13 February 1911 by Rev. Rayalk Lucker at Canton to Elizabeth Elliott. She was born about 1865. Her parents were Frank Elliott and Leonore [-?-]. 
|237.||i||Meelette6 Watts born August 1895 in PA.|
|238.||ii||Biva (Vivie, Viba) E. Watts born 28 September 1898 at East Canton, PA., in 1910 she was living with her grandfather Robert A. Watts.|
142. Charlotte E.5 Mercur (Henry Spalding4, Mary3, Francis2, James1) She was born 8 September 1850 in PA. She married William McGlathery on 30 December 1873. He was born on 19 November 1839.
|239.||i||Mary Charlotte6 McGlathery born at Pittsfield, Berkshire Co., Massachusetts, married Robert Van Cleve Whitehead.In 1911, they lived at 142 West State St., Trenton, New Jersey.|
152. Rodney A.5 Mercur (Ulysses4, Mary3, Francis2, James1) He was born on 29 September 1852 at Towanda, PA. He studied at Susquehana Collegiate Institute, Phillips Academy, at Exeter, New Hampshire, and at Harvard University. He studied law. He was admitted to the Bradford County Bar on 3 May 1875. He "...was commissioned as Register in Bankruptcy for the Western District of PA...." He was active in politics and served as "... an alternate delegate to the National Republican Convention held at Chicago in 1888..." He served as director of the First National Bank of Towanda, James H. Hawes Manufacturing Company, Towanda Gas Company and the Towanda Cemetery Association. He was an active member of the Episcopal Church, serving as vestryman for 12 year. He represented his parish at the diocesan Convention for several years. He served as "... a lay deputy to the General Conventions of the Protestant Episcopal Church at Chicago in 1886, and at New York in 1889." He was a member of the Union League of Philadelphia and the PA. Society of the Sons of Revolution. He represented the State of PA. as a commissioner to the World's Columbian Exposition in Chicago in 1893.
He married Mary Ward on 12 June 1879. She was the daughter of James M. Ward and Louisa Overton of Towanda. 
155. James Watts5 Mercur (Ulysses4, Mary3, Francis2, James1) He was born about 1857 in PA., Delaware County. He married Marietta Elizabeth Honoré Denis. Her parents were Narcisse Francois Honoré Denis and Marietta Randolph.
159. Horace M.5 Spalding (Andrew E.4, Eleanor3, Francis2, James1) He was born 7 October 1840 in Canton township. In his early years he worked as a farmer. In 1872 he moved to Troy and worked in the dray (freight hauling) business. Beginning in 1879, he worked as a hardware merchant in Beardsley & Spalding (1879-1884) and Beardsley, Spalding & McKean (1884-1890). He then worked as a buyer and shipper of produce, coal and plaster. He served as burgess of Troy for one term and as a councilman for eight years. He was a member of the Disciple Church and the I. O. O. F.
He married Lovina Shepard on 19 May 1864. She was the daughter of Dr. S. W. Shepard and Amanda Bailey of Troy. 
 1880 U.S. Census, PA., Bradford Co.,
Canton, p. 11, National Archives Microfilm T 9, Roll 1104, includes names, age,
occupation and state of birth; DAR Application 72434, Addie Watts Crawford, Apr
1909, seen at the DAR Library, Washington, DC.
 Family Group Sheet for John B. Watts,
prepared by Jean Deal, February 1998, provides information about births,
marriages, deaths, names of parents, names of children, names of spouses, copy
in possession of writer.
 DAR Applications 78879 and 78880,
Edith Catherine Barnes and Maud Eleanor Barnes, 12 Mar 1910, information about
Catherine Watts, her husband Melville Barnes and children Edith and Maud.
 DAR Application 427000, Mildred
Norris, 4 Jan 1954, information about Thomas Wilson Watts, his wife Elizabeth
Smith and child Blanche; DAR Application 97,200, Lula E. Watts Chamberlain,
information about Thomas Wilson Watts, his wife Elizabeth Smith and child Lula;
DAR Application [not shown on copy], Genevieve Watts Gore, information about
Thomas Wilson Watts, his wife Elizabeth Smith and child Genevieve; 1910 U.S.
Census, PA., Bradford Co., Canton Borough, Family 187, National Archives
Microfilm T624, Roll 1318, includes information about names, age, years of
marriage, state of birth, occupation, place of work, residence; Blanche N.
Watts and Henry J. Blackman, Register of Marriages, Vol. 11, p. 464, lic. 3659,
Bradford Co., PA, LDS Microfilm 1,033,158, includes names, ages, place of
residence, occupation, names of parents, date of marriage; Genevieve J. Watts
and Ernest M. Straight, Register of Marriages, Vol. 18, p. 531, lic 7580,
Bradford Co., PA, LDS microfilm 1,033,162, includes names, ages, place of
residence, occupation, names of parents, date of marriage; Lulu E. Watts and
Ira G. Chamberlain, Register of Marriages, Vol. 21, p. 101, lic 8804, Bradford
Co., PA, LDS micorfilm 1,033,163, includes names, ages, place of residence,
occupation, names of parents, date of marriage.
 1860 U.S. Census, PA., Bradford Co.,
Canton Township, p. 202, dwelling 539, family 508, National Archives Microfilm
M 653, Roll 1080; 1870 U.S. Census, PA., Bradford Co., Canton Township, p. 38,
lines 8-12, National Archives Microfilm; 1900 U.S. Census, PA., Bradford Co.,
Canton, National Archives Microfilm T 623, Roll 1382; Electa Watts and J. E.
Schaffinaker, Marriage License Docket, Vol. 10, p. 70, license 2714, Bradford
Co., PA, LDS microfilm 1,033,158; 1910 U.S. Census, PA., Bradford Co., Canton
Borough, Family 2, National Archives Microfilm T624, Roll 1318, includes
information about names, age, years of marriage, state of birth, occupation,
place of work, residence.
 Charley Watts and Jennie Hunter,
Marriage License Docket, Vol. 1 , p. 235, Bradford Co., PA, LDS microfilm
1,033,154; J. Ernest Watts and Maude K. Rockwell, Marriage License Docket, Vol.
23 , p. 14, license 9903, Bradford Co., PA, LDS microfilm 1,033,164, records
father's place of birth and father's occupuation; J. Ernest Watts and Maude K.
Rockwell, Marriage License Docket, Vol. 23 , p. 14, license 9903, Bradford Co.,
PA, LDS microfilm 1,033,164; Perry V. Watts and Dena Ameigh, Marriage License
Docket, Vol. 23 , p. 36, license 9925, Bradford Co., PA, LDS microfilm
1,033,164; Jesse Legran Watts, Register of Births, Vol. 1 , p. 279, Bradford
Co., PA, LDS microfilm 1,033,148; Clara Beatrice Watts, Register of Births,
Vol. 1 , p. 285, Bradford Co., PA, LDS microfilm 1,033,148.
 Clara Watts, Register of Deaths, Vol.
2, Dec. 20, 1904, Bradford Co., PA, LDS Microfilm 1,033,165, provides place,
date and cause of death, date and place of burial, and age; C. A. Watts and
Elizabeth E. Elliott, Marriage License Docket, Vol. 19 , p. 434, license 8035,
Bradford Co., PA, LDS microfilm 1,033,154, provides names, name and date of
death of former spouse, names of parents, ages; 1900 U.S. Census, PA., Bradford
Co., Canton, sheet 8, National Archives Microfilm T 623, Roll 1382, census
provides names, month, year and state of birth, years of marriage, status of
dwelling; Biva E. Watts, Register of Births, Vol. 1, p. 291, Bradford Co., PA,
LDS Microfilm 1,033,148, the 1900 census records and the birth register records
give differing names for the father and the child; 1910 U.S. Census, PA.,
Bradford Co., Canton TWP, N. Dist, Family 93, National Archives Microfilm T624,
Roll 1318, includes information about names, age, years of marriage, state of
birth, occupation, place of work, residence.
 DAR Application 85526, Mary Charlotte
McGlathery Whitehead, 30 Jan 1911, notes dates of birth and marriage for
Charlotte E. Mercur and William McGlathery, and her place of birth and
husband's name, seen at the Library of the Daughters of the American
Revolution, copy in possession of the writer.
 Bradsby, History of Bradford
County, p. 1020.
 1860 U.S. Census, PA., Bradford
County, Towanda Borough, p. 828, dwelling 163, family 160, National Archives
Microfilm M653, Roll 1081; ; Application File 31823, Marietta Denis Mercur
Cahall, lists her ancestors names, seen at the Library of the Daughters of the
American Revolution, Washington, DC, copy in possession of writer
 Bradsby, History of Bradford
County, p. 1184.
Your questions and comments are always welcomed. Send email to Sean Furniss at Sean.Furniss@gmail.com.
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids