The following is Bobby Brown's take on the early genealogy of the Joshua Brown/Charlotte Morris line. Taken from an e-mail he sent out 8/15/07:
- WE ARE INTERESTED IN THE ANCESTRY INFO ON JOSHUA BROWN SR. b.
MAR 5, 1716/7 IN LANCASTER COUNTY, PA, d. 1793 m. HANNAH GATCHELL
OCTOBER 15, 1736. b. IN E. NOTTINGHAM, CHESTER COUNTY, PA.
- JOSHUA SR's. SON WAS JOSHUA BROWN JR., b. NOVEMBER 1765 IN
CUMBERLAND COUNTY, MARYLAND. JOSHUA BROWN SR's PARENTS SEEM
TO BE JEREMIAH BROWN b. 1687 IN MARCUS HOOK, DELAWARE COUNTY, PA
d. MARCH 7, 1767 IN NOTTINGHAM, CHESTER COUNTY, PA m. MARY ROYAL b.
OCTOBER 24, 1692 m. MARCH12, 1709/10 IN CHESTER COUNTY, PA. BROWN
JR. m. CHARLOTTE MORRIS b. MAY 15, 1772 m. DECEMBER 22, 1790 d.
NOVEMBER 5, 1838 IN SPRINGFIELD TWP., HUNTINGDON CO., PA.
E. A. Brown, on the other hand, believes that the above represents a mixup between two different Joshua Browns:
Huntingdon Co., PA
Born: 1765 - Died: 26 Nov. 1832
I believe the above Joshua Brown is my GGG grandfather. I have considerable documentation about one of his sons, Jeremiah born in 1802, that establishes him as my GG grandfather. I do have a page from Joshua’s bible that shows that he married Charlotte Morris. It further shows their marriage date, Charlotte’s birth date, the birth date of all 11 of their children and the death date for Joshua and Charlotte. The later is confirmed by the cemetery records from the Old School Baptist Cemetery at Three Springs, Springfield Twp, Huntingdon Co., PA. Joshua’s birth date is established from his age as 67 yrs. on his grave stone. I have no other confirmation of this or of the location.
Several researchers have identified Joshua’s parents as Joshua and Hannah Gatchel of Little Britain, Lancaster Co., PA. Based upon my recent research, I find this connection very unlikely. Since Joshua and Hannah were Quakers, there exists a significant body of historical data about them and their family. Based upon these records I offer the following:
- They had two sons named Joshua:
- The first was born 20 June 1745, and died 22 Jan. 1760.
- The second was born 17 Feb 1760 - some times referred as Joshua Jr.
- He was the last of the children of this marriage - Hannah would have been 45 at the time, and died 7 Nov 1763.
- Joshua subsequently married the widow Zillah Walker Maule on 10 Sept 1767, and they had two more children.
- I have a copy of Joshua’s will dated 6 Dec 1794 naming his wife as Zillah, and leaving the ‘mantion’ house to his son Joshua. It also states that Joshua is to provide certain subsequent payments to Zillah and several of his other children from his estate. Joshua died 15 Oct 1798, and his will probated 10 June 1799.
- Quaker records also show that Joshua, son of Joshua and Hannah was buried at Little Britain 11 July 1823. I have a copy of his will dated 18 Aug 1823 names his wife Sarah, he had no children and left all to Isaac Rush’s children. The Biographical Annals of Lancaster County state that ‘Joshua, the youngest son(of Joshua and Hannah), died in 1823 on the Mansion farm, leaving no children.
- The 1790 Federal Census show two Joshua Brown’s, one noted as Joshua Jr., living in Little Britain Twp, Lancaster County, PA.
Now contrast this with the history of Joshua Brown of Huntingdon County:
- Joshua Brown and Charlotte Morris were married on 22 Dec. 1790.
- Joshua shows up in the 1800, 1820 and 1830 census in Springfield Twp, Huntingdon Co. PA with the correct number of male and female family members consistent with the family bible data.
- Finally, the family bible record, and the Old School Baptist Cemetery records in Huntingdon Co. shows that Joshua died on 26 Nov. 1832.
I believe that Joshua Brown of Huntingdon Co. was not the son of Joshua Brown and Hannah Gatchel of Little Britain, Lancaster Co., PA.
- The birth dates do not match.
- There death dates do not match.
- Their location during the 1790’s and early 1800’s do not match.
- The number of children do not match.
This now leave open the question as to who were Joshua Brown’s parents, where was he born and who are his ancestors.
437 5th Ave. S Unit 3A
Edmonds, WA 98020
Note: Kathy Wells has more on the line of Joshua who m. Hannah Gatchell here.