Search billions of records on

Re: Need to trace Grandad's roots: Fujien

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Chinese Surnames Queries ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by mai on June 03, 19100 at 15:03:19:

In Reply to: Need to trace Grandad's roots: Fujien posted by kenny quah on May 08, 19100 at 02:04:28:

: Grandad is from Fujien, surname is Quah. Need to trace his roots. How and where do I start?

First you need to find out approximately what year your Grandfather came into Canada. Once you know that you can check the microfilm record at the National Archives in (you can get copies through an interlibrary loan through you local library). Check on their WEB site and search for the department holding the record and the microfilm reel. RG 76 General Registration of Chinese Immigration will give information regarding the age of immigrant, head tax paid, destination in Canada, physical features, port of entry, name of ship and other registration numbers and file numbers.
(c-9510 to c-9513, T-3484 to T-3486) Each reel covers a specific date period.
You can also check with provincial death records and get a copy of the death certificate. It may indicate place of birth, father and mother names, cause of death, last place of residence, and occupation. Do a broad search if you don't the specific date of death ie between 1935 to 1942. Sometime the records are missentered so, don't specify male or female, or spell the entire surname ie qua or kwa. Some chinese death were file under the business name. Remember many Chinese used their surname as their "given" name.
You may need the death record to get information through "Access of information". You need proof the 20 year has elapsed before you get personal information about a person. There is a publication "Tracing your ancestors in Canada" that is available from the National Archives of Canada, 395 Wellington Avenue Street, Ottawa, Ontario, K1A ON3, 613-996-7458. It's free. You need a research pass to use the archives, it's free as well. You grandfather may be recorded on the passenger list for ships arriving in Canada. Also available at the National Archives. check out

If your Grand Father arrived in San Francisco and then went to Canada, you may be able to check with National Archives in the San Bruno.

Hope that helps.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup




Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Chinese Surnames Queries ] [ FAQ ]