Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   

POST OFFICE CORNWALL DIRECTORY 1873

Page 758-759 GODOLPHIN

(Transcription by Althea Johnson. Check originals for confirmation)

 

 

GODOLPHIN is a village and ecclesiastical parish, formed in 1846 from the parish of St. Breage, in the Western division of the county, hundred of Kerrier, Helston union and county court district, rural deanery of Kerrier, Cornwall archdeaconry, and Exeter diocese, 2 miles from St. Breage church, and 4 north-west from Helston. The church of St. John the Baptist, erected in 1850, is a Gothic building, consisting of chancel, nave, and aisles; there is a bell-turret with two bells. The register dates from the year 1851. The living is a vicarage, yearly value 150, in the gift of the Crown and bishop alternately, and is now vacant. There is a national mixed school, which is supported by voluntary subscriptions, Government grant, and school pence; it has also a small endowment, and a residence attached for the master. The population are chiefly engaged in mining. The principal landowners are the Duke of Leeds and C. Trelawny, esq. The soil is light, resting on granite and spar. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats and roots. The population in 1871 was 1,709.

 

Parish Clerk, James Robert.

 

Letters, through Helston, which is the nearest money order & telegraph office.

 

National School, Joseph Redfern, master

 

CARRIER Charles Harry to Helston, Herland Cross, on sat; to Penzance, on tues. & thurs. returning same day

 

COMMERCIAL

ADAMS

Paul Thos.

Farmer

Trenear

ADAMS

Samuel

Farmer

Penhaleandrea

ADAMS

Wm. Henry

Farmer

Chytoden

BAILEY

James

Carpenter & builder

Herland Cross

BENNETS

Wm.

Farmer

Herland Cross

BLIGHT

Francis

Farmer

Tregoning

BRIAN

Hugh

Farmer

Trescowe

BROWN

John

Farmer

Sparnon

CARNE

John

Farmer

Tregoning

CRAZE

Charles

Mine agent

Ruthdower

EDWARDS

Benjamin

Farmer

Herland

EDWARDS

James

Blacksmith

Gwedna

EDWARDS

Nicholas

Carman

Ruthdower

EDWARDS

Thos.

Mine Agt.

Blackdowns

EDWARDS

William

Carpenter & Farmer

Colsluick

GEORGE

Wm.

Butcher

Herland Cross

GILBERT

Edward

Shopkeeper

Carleen

HARRIS

Stephen

Mine Agent

Poldown

HARRY

Charles

Shopkeeper & Carrier

Herland Cross

HEBBARD

Arthur

Farmer

Trescow

HOCKING

Richard

Farmer

Gwedna

IVEY

Edward

Farmer

Chynance

JACKA

James

Farmer

Redallen

JACKA

Thomas

Farmer

Pengwedna

JOHNS

Robert

Blacksmith

Trescowe

MITCHELL

Francis

Farmer

Pengweda

MOSES

John

Farmer

Pengwedna

OLD

John

Tin merchant & farmer

Trenwheal

PEARCE

Emanuel

Farmer

Trescowe

PEARCE

Mary (Mrs)

Farmer

Trescowe

PEARCE

Nicholas

Farmer & carman

Trescowe

POLKINGHORNE

William

Shoe maker

Herland cross

POLGLASE

Mary (Mrs)

Shopkeeper

Great Work

POLMOUNTAIN

Isaac

Farmer

Lit. Gilley

POOL

Christian

Shopkeepr

Herland cross

POPE

James

Farmer

Trescowe

POPE

Jeremiah

Farmer

Trescowe

POPE

John

Mine agent

Trescowe com

PRYOR

Thomas

Farmer & tin merchant

Wheal Vor

RICHARDS

Henry

Shopkeepr

Pengwedna

RICHARDS

Wm. Henry

Farmr

Wheal Vor

RIDDINGTON

John

Land surveyor

Polladrass

ROSEWARNE

Roseveare

Farmer

Godolphin

ROWE

John

Blacksmith

Herland cross

SAMPSON

Wm.

Farmer & carman

Sparnon

SCHOLAR

Thomas

Farmer

Trescowe

SHEPHARD

Wm. Hendy

Farmer

Pengilly

STEPHENS

William

Tin merchant

Godolphin bridge

SYMONS

Symon Alfred Fraser

Farmer

Penhalcandrea

THOMAS

William

Farmer & carman

X

TREDREA

Mary (Mrs)

Shopkeeper

Herland cross

TRELOAR

Wm.

Farmr & Shopkpr

Trescowe

TYACKE

George

Farmer & Shopkeeper

Herland cross

TYACKE

Mary (Mrs)

Shopkeeper

X

URAN

John

Farmer

Tregoning hill

WELLINGTON

John

Britannia Inn

Herland cross

WILLIAMS

John

Farmer

Penhaleandrea

WILLIAMS

Peter

Mine agt.

Herland cross