Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   

KELLY’S DIRECTORY OF DEVON & CORNWALL 1914

Part 3, Page 132-133 GODOLPHIN

(Transcription by Althea Johnson. Check originals for confirmation)

 

 

GODOLPHIN is a village and ecclesiastical parish, formed February 6, 1846, from the parish of St. Breage, and is 4 ½ miles north-west from Helston, and 2 miles south from Nancegollan station on the Helston branch of the Great Western railway, in the Truro division of the county, hundred of Kerrier, petty sessional division of Kerrier West, Helston union and county court district, rural deanery of Kerrier, archdeaconry of Cornwall and diocese of Truro.  The church of St. John the Baptist, erected in 1851, is a building of stone with granite facings in the Gothic style, consisting of chancel, lofty nave, aisles separated from the nave by arcades of four arches, north porch and a small turret on the western gable containing two bells; there are 400 sittings.  The register dates from the year 1846.  The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £195, with residence, in the gift of the Crown and the Bishop of Truro alternately, and held since 1912 by the Rev. Robert PRIOR M.A. of St. Peters College, Cambridge.  There are Wesleyan Methodist and United Methodist chapels at Trescowe.  Godolphin House, a quadrangular structure of granite, situated in a large and well-wooded park and now occupied as a farm house, was the seat (cir. 1706), of the Earls of Godolphin, but the present building is only a portion of the original.  Charles II. it is reported, slept here when on a journey to St. Michael’s Mount.  Sir Francis Godolphin kt. M.P. for Cornwall in 1588-9, was the first to introduce a stamping machine for tin ore into Cornwall.  A high lordship is paid by the Duke of Leeds, the present owner, to the St. Aubyn family, as reeve of the manor of Lamburne, to which family, failing an heir, the estate returns.  On Candlemas Day (February 2nd), before sunrise, the reeve must appear at the outer door and give three distinct knocks, saying “Oh yes! Oh Yes! Oh Yes! Here come I, the reeve of the Manor of Lamburne, to demand my Lord’s dues: eight groats and a penny in money, a loaf, a cheese, a collar of brawn and a jack of the best beer in the house; God save the King and the Lord of the Manor.”  This must be repeated at the inner door and at the table in the hall, after which his demand is satisfied. The population are chiefly engaged in mining.  The principal landowners are the Duke of Leeds, Charles Trelawny, esq. and Lord Churston. The soil is light, resting on granite and spar.  The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats and roots.  The population in 1911 was 724.

 

POST OFFICE, Godolphin Cross – Miss Catherine Rowe TYACKE, sub-postmistress.  Letters, through Helston, arrive at 9.45 a.m & 3.20 p.m.; dispatched at 3.25 p.m.; no delivery on Sundays.  Helston is the nearest money order office & Tawnsbend (?), 2 miles distant, the nearest telegraph office.

 

POST OFFICE, Trescowe – Mrs Lucretia CARTER, sub-postmistress.  Letters through Marazion, Cornwall, arrive at 10.20 a.m.; dispatched at 3.45 p.m.; no delivery on Sundays. Goldsithney is the nearest money order & telegraph office.

 

Public Elementary School, Herland Cross (mixed), erected in 1876, for 160 children; average attendance, 70; John Mark COWLES, master.

 

CARRIER – William John POPE  to Helston, on wed. &  sat.; to Penzance, on thurs. returning same day.

 

 

PRIOR Rev. Robt. M.A. (Vicar), Vicarage.

STEVENS Thomas, Durbanin

TRELOAR Peter Quintrell, Godolphin ho

WOOLCOCK Mrs. Elm Cottage

 

COMMERCIAL GODOLPHIN

ADAMS

Paul Thomas

Farmer

Trenear

ANGOVE

Henry

Farmer

Poldown

ANGOVE

Samuel

Farmer

Pengwedna

BAILEY

Theophilus James

Carpenter & builder

Herland Cross

BENNETTS

John

Farmer

Sparnon

BLIGHT

George

Farmer

Tregoning

BOWDEN

Wm. Henry

Frmr

Chytodden

CHAMPION

Alfred

Farmer

Polladrass

CORNISH

John

Farmer

Redallan

EDWARDS

Catherine (Mrs.)

Shopkeepr

Herland Cross

EDWARDS

Thomas

Farmer

Herland

EDWARDS

Thomas Hocking

Carpenter

Cursluick

EVA

Wm. Chas.

Grocer

Godolphin Cross

HARRIS

Ernest

Farmer

Penhaleandrea

HARRIS

Stephen

Farmer

Wheal Vor

HARRY

Chas.

Seed mer.

Godolphin Cross

HOCKING

Thomas

Farmer

Gwedna

JOHNS

James

Smith

Herland cross

PASCOE

Thomas

Farmer

Pengilly

POLMOUNTAIN

Isaac

Frmr

Lit. Gilley

POPE

Joseph

Godolphin Arms P.H.

X

POPE

William John

Bus proprietor

Herland cross

PRYOR

John

Farmer

Pengwedna

PRYOR

William

Farmer

Pengwedna

ROSEWARNE

Edith (Mrs.)

Farmer

Cursluick

SAMPSON

Richard

Farmer

Sparnon

STEPHENS

Hugh

Farmer

Mary villa

TRELOAR

Peter Quintrell

Mining engineer & agriculturalist

Godolphin house

TYACKE

Jacob Jn.

Frmr

Herland cross

VINGOE

Elizabeth (Mrs.)

Shopkeeper

Wheal Vor

WHITE

Wm.

Butcher

Herland cross

COMMERCIAL TRESCOWE

CARTER

Lucretia (Mrs.)

Shopkeeper, Post office

Trescowe

LAITY

Joseph

Farmer

Trescowe

LAITY

William

Farmer

Trescowe

LUKEY

William

Farmer

Trescowe

PEACE

James

Farmer

Trescowe

THOMAS

Elizh (Mrs.)

Shopkeeper

Trescowe

TREVASKIS

John Henry

Market gardnr

Trescowe

TREVASKIS

Johnson

Farmer

Trescowe Common