Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   

KELLY’S DIRECTORY OF CORNWALL 1906

Page 122 GODOLPHIN

(Transcription by Althea Johnson. Check originals for confirmation)

 

 

GODOLPHIN is a village and ecclesiastical parish, formed February 6, 1846, from the parish of St. Breage, and is 4 ½ miles north-west from Helston, and 2 miles south from Nancegollan station on the Helston branch of the Great Western railway, in the Truro division of the county, hundred of Kerrier, petty sessional division of Kerrier West, Helston union and county court district, rural deanery of Kerrier, archdeaconry of Cornwall and diocese of Truro.  The church of St. John the Baptist, erected in 1851, is a building of stone with granite facings in the Gothic style, consisting of chancel, lofty nave, aisles separated from the nave by arcades of four arches, north porch and a small turret on the western gable containing two bells; there are 467 sittings.  The register dates from the year 1846.  The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £147, with residence, in the gift of the Crown and the Bishop of Truro alternately, and held since 1879 by the Rev. Samuel Rundle, jun. M.A. of St. Edmund Hall, Oxford, rural dean of Kerrier and surrogate. Godolphin House, a quadrangular structure of granite, situated in a large and well-wooded park and now occupied as a farm house, was the seat (cir. 1706), of the Earls of Godolphin, but the present building is only a portion of the original.  Charles II. it is reported, slept here when on a journey to St. Michael’s Mount.  Sir Francis Godolphin kt. M.P. for Cornwall in 1588-9, was the first to introduce a stamping machine for tin ore into Cornwall.  A high lordship is paid by the Duke of Leeds, the present owner, to the St. Aubyn family, as reeve of the manor of Lamburne, to which family, failing an heir, the estate returns.  On Candlemas Day (February 2nd), before sunrise, the reeve must appear at the outer door and give three distinct knocks, saying “Oh yes! Oh Yes! Oh Yes! Here come I, the reeve of the Manor of Lamburne, to demand my Lord’s dues: eight groats and a penny in money, a loaf, a cheese, a collar of brawn and a jack of the best beer in the house; God save the King and the Lord of the Manor.”  This must be repeated at the inner door and at the table in the hall, after which his demand is satisfied. The population are chiefly engaged in mining.  The principal landowners are the Duke of Leeds, Charles Trelawny, esq. and Lord Churston. The soil is light, resting on granite and spar.  The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats and roots.  The population in 1901 was 854.

 

Parish Clerk and Sexton, vacant.

 

POST OFFICE, Godolphin Cross – Miss Catherine Rowe TYACKE, sub-postmistress.  Letters, through Helston, arrive at 10.30 a.m.; dispatched at 2.40 p.m.; no delivery on Sundays.  Goldsithney is the nearest money order office & Breage, 3 ½ miles distant, the nearest telegraph office.  

POST OFFICE, Trescowe – Mrs Grace SYMONS, sub-postmistress.  Letters through Marazion S.O. arrive at 11.15 a.m.; dispatched at 3.45 p.m.; no delivery on Sundays. Goldsithney is the nearest money order office & Breage, 3 1/2 miles distant, the nearest telegraph office.

 

Public Elementary School, Herland Cross (mixed), erected in 1876, for 160 children; average attendance, 85; Alfred James SPILLER, master; Miss Mary Louisa DAVIES, mistress.

 

CARRIERS. – John ROBERTS & Joel BAWDEN, to Helston, on sats.; to Penzance, on thurs. returning same day.

 

(Marked thus + should be addressed Marazion S.O.)

RICHARDS Trice, Godolphin House

RUNDLE Rev. Samuel, jun. M.A. (Vicar, rural dean & surrogate), Vicarage.

STEVENS Thomas, Durbanin

WOOLCOCK John, Elm Cottage

 

COMMERCIAL

ADAMS

Paul Thomas

Farmer

Trenear

ADAMS

Wm. Hy.

Farmer

Chytodden

BAILEY

Theophilus James

Carpenter & builder

Herland Cross

BAWDEN

Joel

Carrier

Herland Cross

BENNETTS

John

Farmer

Sparnon

BLIGHT

George

Farmer

Tregoning

CHAMPION

Alfred

Farmer

Polladrass

CHAMPION

Stephen

Collector of rates

Polladrass

CORNISH

John

Farmer

Redallan

EDWARDS

Samuel

Carpenter

Colsluick

EDWARDS

Thomas

Farmer

Herland

HARRIS

Edward

Farmer

Penhaleandrea

HARRIS

Stephen

Mine Agent & farmer

Poldown

HARRY

Charles

Seed & manure merchant & grocer

Herland cross

HOCKING

Thomas

Farmer

Gwedna

JAMES

Richard

Farmer

Herland cross

JOHNS

James

Smith

Herland cross & Sparnon

JOHNS

William

Farmer

Herland Cross

+LAITY

Joseph

Farmer

Trescowe

+LAITY

William

Farmer

Trescowe

+LUKEY

Joel

Farmer

Trescowe

MAGOR

James

Farmer

Colswick

NEWTON

Wm. John

Farmer

Pengwedna

PASCOE

Thomas

Farmer

Pengilly

+PEARCE

James

Farmer

Trescowe

POLGLASE

Thos.

Shoe ma.

Herland cross

POLMOUNTAIN

Isaac

Frmr

Lit. Gilley

POOL

Christian (Mrs.)

Shopkeeper

Herland cross

+POPE

John

Mine agent

Trescowe com

POPE

Joseph

Godolphin Arms P.H.

X

PRYOR

John

Farmer

Pengwedna

PRYOR

William

Farmer

Pengwedna

RICHARDS

Mary (Mrs.)

Frmr

Wheal Vor

RICHARDS

Trice

Farmer

Godolphin ho

ROBERTS

Jn.

Bus propr.

Herland cross

SAMPSON

Richard

Farmer

Sparnon

STEPHENS

Hugh

Farmer

Mary villa

STEPHENS

Richard

Farmer

Herland

STEPHENS

Rd.

Shopkpr

Herland Cross

STEVENS

Thomas

Stained glass artist, antique glass & lead window maker (high class windows repaired or restored); memorial windows a speciality

Durbania

+TREVASKIS

Johnson

Farmer

Trescowe common

TYACKE

Jacob Jn.

Frmr

Herland cross

VINGOE

John (Mrs.)

Farmer & shopkeeper

Wheal Vor

WATERS

Jn. Richd.

Blacksmith

Gwedna

WHITE

James

Butcher

Herland cross