Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   

KELLY’S DIRECTORY OF CORNWALL 1897

Page 113 GODOLPHIN

(Transcription by Althea Johnson. Check originals for confirmation)

 

 

GODOLPHIN is a village and ecclesiastical parish, formed February 6, 1846, from the parish of St. Breage, and is 4 ½ miles north-west from Helston, and 2 miles south from Nancegollan station on the Helston branch of the Great Western railway, in the Truro division of the county, hundred of Kerrier, petty sessional division of Kerrier West, Helston union and county court district, rural deanery of Kerrier, archdeaconry of Cornwall and diocese of Truro.  The church of St. John the Baptist, erected in 1851, is a building of stone with granite facings in the Gothic style, consisting of chancel, lofty nave, aisles separated from the nave by arcades of four arches, north porch and a small turret on the western gable containing two bells; there are 467 sittings.  The register dates from the year 1846.  The living is a vicarage, net yearly value from Ecclesiastical Commissioners £142, with residence, in the gift of the Crown and the Bishop of Truro alternately, and held since 1879 by the Rev. Samuel Rundle, jun. M.A. of St. Edmund Hall, Oxford, and surrogate. Godolphin House, a quadrangular structure of granite, situated in a large and well-wooded park and now occupied as a farm house, was the seat (cir. 1706), of the Earls of Godolphin but the present building is only a portion of the original.  Charles II. it is reported, slept here when on a journey to St. Michael’s Mount.  Sir Francis Godolphin kt. M.P. for Cornwall in 1588-9, was the first to introduce a stamping machine for tin ore into Cornwall.  A high lordship is paid by the Duke of Leeds, the present owner, to the St. Aubyn family, as reeve of the manor of Lamburne, to which family, failing an heir, the estate returns.  On Candlemas Day (February 2nd), before sunrise, the reeve must appear at the outer door and give three distinct knocks, saying “Oh yes! Oh Yes! Oh Yes! Here come I, the reeve of the Manor of Lamburne, to demand my Lord’s dues: eight groats and a penny in money, a loaf, a cheese, a collar of brawn and a jack of the best beer in the house; God save the Queen and the Lord of the Manor.”  This must be repeated at the inner door and at the table in the hall, after which his demand is satisfied.  At Great Works Mine, in St. Germoe parish, gunpowder was first used in 1688 for blasting purposes; and at Wheal Vor, also in this parish, the first steam engine was erected in 1710.  The population are chiefly engaged in mining.  The principal landowners are the Duke of Leeds, Charles Trelawny, esq. And Lord Churston. The soil is light, resting on granite and spar.  The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats and roots.  The population in 1891 was 1,061.

 

Parish Clerk and Sexton, James ROBERTS.

 

POST OFFICE, Godolphin Cross – Benjamin EDWARDS, sub-postmaster.  Letters, through Helston, arrive at 11.5 a.m.; dispatched at 1.55 p.m.  Postal orders are issued here, but not paid.   Porthleven is the nearest money order & telegraph office. 

POST OFFICE, Trescowe – Mrs Alice TRELOAR, sub-postmistress.  Letters through Marazion R.S.O. which is the nearest telegraph office, arrive at 11.5 a.m.; dispatched at 2.10 p.m.  Postal orders are issued here, but not paid.  Goldsithney is the nearest money order office.

 

This parish is included in Breage School Board district. 

Board School, Herland Cross (mixed), erected in 1876, for 160 children; average attendance, 89; Alfred James SPILLER, master; Miss Mary Louisa DAVIES, mistress.

 

CARRIER – John BERRYMAN & Joel BAWDEN, to Helston, on sats.; to Penzance, on thurs. returning same day.

 

(Marked thus + should be addressed Marazion R.S.O.)

ROSEWARNE Roseveare, Godolphin Ho

RUNDLE Rev. Samuel, jun. M.A. (Vicar & surrogate), Vicarage.

 

COMMERCIAL

ADAMS

Paul Thomas

Farmer

Trenear

ADAMS

Wm. Hy.

Farmer

Chytodden

BAILEY

James

Carpenter & builder

Herland Cross

BAWDEN

Joel

Carrier

Herland Cross

BENNETT

Celeia (Mrs)

Frmr

Herland Cross

BENNETTS

John

Farmer

Sparnon

BLIGHT

George

Farmer

Tregoning

CARNE

John

Farmer

Tregoning

CHAMPION

Stephen

Collector of rates

Polladrass

CORNISH

John

Farmer

Redallan

EDWARDS

Benj. & Son

Frmrs

Herland

EDWARDS

George

Blacksmith

Gwedna

EDWARDS

Samuel

Carpenter

Colsluick

EDWARDS

William

Farmer

Colsluick

GOLDSWORTHY

James

Attendance officer Breage school board

Polladrass

HARRIS

Stephen

Mine Agent

Poldown

HARRY

Charles

Seed & manure merchant & shopkeeper

Herland cross

HOCKING

Thomas

Farmer

Gwedna

JAMES

Richard

Farmer

Herland cross

JOHNS

James

Smith

Sparnon

+LAITY

Joseph & Son

Frmrs

Trescowe

+LAITY

William

Farmer

Trescowe

+LUKEY

Joel

Farmer

Trescowe

+PEARCE

James

Farmer

Trescowe

+PEARCE

Nicholas

Farmer

Trescowe

POLGLASE

Thos.

Shoe ma.

Herland cross

POLMOUNTAIN

Isaac

Frmr

Lit. Gilley

POOL

Christian (Mrs.)

Shopkeeper

Herland cross

+POPE

John

Mine agent

Trescowe com

POPE

Joseph

Godolphin Arms P.H.

X

PRYOR

John

Farmer

Pengwedna

PRYOR

Thomas

Farmer

Pengwedna

PRYOR

William

Farmer

Pengwedna

REYNOLDS

George & Sons

Tailors

Herland cross & Nancegollan

RICHARDS

Thomas

Farmer

Wheal Vor

RIDDINGTON

Edwin

Surveyor & Mine agent

Polladrass

ROSEWARNE

Roseveare

Farmer

Godolphin house

ROWE

Wm.

Blacksmith

Herland cross

SAMPSON

John Richards

Clerk to Breage parish council & school board

Sparnon

SAMPSON

William

Farmer

Sparnon

SHEPHARD

Wm. Hendy

Farmer

Pengilly

STEPHENS

Rd.

Shopkpr

Herland Cross

THOMAS

Avis (Mrs.)

Frmr

Herland

+TRELOAR

Alice (Mrs.)

Farmer & Shopkeeper & post office

Trescowe

+TREVASKIS

Johnson

Farmer

Trescowe common

TYACKE

Jacob Jn.

Frmr

Herland cross

+TYACKE

Wm.

Wheelwright

Trescowe

VINGOE

Jn

Frmr & shopkpr

Wheal Vor

WHITE

James

Butcher

Herland cross

WILLIAMS

Jn. Jas.

Frmr

Penhaleandrea