Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   

KELLY’S DIRECTORY OF CORNWALL 1889

Page 1003-1004 GODOLPHIN

(Transcription by Althea Johnson. Check originals for confirmation)

 

 

GODOLPHIN is a village and ecclesiastical parish, formed February 6, 1846, from the parish of St. Breage, and is 4 ½ miles north-west from Helston Station and 2 miles south from Nancegollan station on the Helston branch of the Great Western railway, in the Truro division of the county, hundred of Kerrier, petty sessional division of Kerrier West, Helston union and county court district, rural deanery of Kirrier, archdeaconry of Cornwall, and diocese of Truro.  The church of St. John the Baptist, erected in 1851, is a building of stone with granite facings in the Gothic style, consisting of chancel, lofty nave, aisles separated from the nave by arcades of four arches, north porch and a small turret on the western gable containing two bells; there are 467 sittings.  The register dates from the year 1851.  The living is a vicarage, net yearly value from Ecclesiastical Commissioners £147, with residence, in the gift of the Crown and the Bishop of Truro alternately, and held since 1879 by the Rev. Samuel Rundle, jun. M.A. of St. Edmund Hall, Oxford, rural dean of Kirrier. Godolphin House, a quadrangular structure of granite, situated in a large and well-wooded park and now occupied as a farm house, was the seat (cir. 1706), of the Earls of Godolphin but the present building is only a portion of the original.  Charles II. it is reported, slept here when on a journey to St. Michael’s Mount.  Sir Francis Godolphin kt. M.P. for Cornwall in1588-9, was the first to introduce a stamping machine for tin ore into Cornwall.  A high lordship is paid by the Duke of Leeds, the present owner, to the St. Aubyn family, as reeve of the manor of Lamburne, to which family, failing an heir, the estate returns.  On Candlemas Day (February 2nd), before sunrise, the reeve must appear at the outer door and give three distinct knocks, saying “Oh yes! Oh Yes! Oh Yes! Here comes I, the reeve of the Manor of Lamburne, to demand my Lord’s dues: three groats and a penny in money, a loaf, a cheese, a collar of brawn and a jug of the best beer in the house; God save the King and the Lord of the Manor.”  This must be repeated at the two inner doors, after which his demand is satisfied.  At Great Works Mine gunpowder was first used in 1688 for blasting purposes; and at Wheal Vor, also in this parish, the first colliery engine was erected in 1710.  The population are chiefly engaged in mining.  The principal landowners are the Duke of Leeds N.L., J.P.  and Charles Trelawny, esq.  The soil is light, resting on granite and spar.  The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats and roots.  The population in 1881 was 1,255.

 

Parish Clerk and Sexton, Edmund Uren.

 

Letters, through Helston, the nearest money order & telegraph office, arrive at 12 noon.

 

WALL LETTER BOX cleared at 1.30 p.m.

 

This parish is included in Breage school board district.

Board School, Herland Cross (mixed), erected in 1876, for 160 children; average attendance, 50; James GASSON, master; Miss Mary Louisa Davies, mistress.

 

CARRIER – Joseph BERRYMAN to Helston, on sats.; to Penzance, on tues. & thurs. returning same day

 

ROSEWARNE Roseveare, Godolphin House

RUNDLE Rev. Samuel, jun. M.A. Vicarage

 

COMMERCIAL

ADAMS

Paul Thomas

Farmer

Trenear

ADAMS

Wm. Hy.

Farmer

Chystodden

BAILEY

Jas.

Crpntr & bldr

Herland Cross

BENNETTS

John James

Farmer

Sparnon

BENNETTS

Celeia (Mrs)

Frmr

Herland Cross

BLIGHT

Francis

Farmer

Tregoning

BRIAN

Elizh. (Mrs.)

Farmer

Trescowe

CARNE

John

Farmer

Tregoning

CORNISH

John

Farmer

Tregoning

EDWARDS

Benjamin

Farmer

Herland

EDWARDS

James

Blacksmith

Gwedna

EDWARDS

Samuel

Carpenter

Colsluick

EDWARDS

William

Farmer

Colsluick

GILBERT

Thos. (Mrs.)

Shopkpr

Carleen

HARRIS

Stephen

Mine Agent

Poldown

HARRY

Charles

Seed & manure merchant & Shopkeeper

Herland Cross

HEBBARD

Arthur (Mrs.)

Farmr

Trescowe

HOCKING

Thomas

Farmer

Gwedna

JAMES

Richard

Farmer

Herland cross

JOHNS

William

Blacksmith

Trescowe

NICHOLAS

William

Farmer

Pengwedna

PEARCE

James

Farmer

Trescowe

PEARCE

Nicholas

Frmr & carmn

Trescowe

POLKINGHORNE

Jas.

Shoe ma.

Herland cross

POLGLASE

Mary (Mrs)

Shpkpr

Great Work

POLMOUNTAIN

Isaac

Farmer

Little Gilley

POOL

Christian

Shopkeepr

Herland cross

POPE

Elizh. (Mrs)

Shpkpr

Herland Cross

POPE

James

Farmer

Trescowe

POPE

Jeremiah

Farmer

Trescowe

POPE

John

Mine agent

Trescowe com

POPE

Joseph

Godolphin Arms P.H.

X

PRYOR

John

Farmer & tin mer.

Wheal Vor

REYNOLDS

George & Sons

Tailors

Herland cross & Nancegollan

RICHARDS

Thos.

Shopkeeper

Pengwedna

RICHARDS

Wm. Hy.

Farmer

Wheal Vor

RIDDINGTON

Edwin

Surveyor & Mine agent

Polladrass

ROSEWARNE

Roseveare

Farmer

Godolphin house

ROWE

John

Blacksmith

Herland cross

SAMPSON

Wm.

Farmer & carman

Sparnon

SHEPHARD

Wm. Hendy

Farmer

Pengilly

STEPHENS

John

Shopkeeper

X

THOMAS

Wm.

Farmer & carman

Herland

TREDREA

Mary (Mrs)

Shopkeeper

Herland cross

TRELOAR

Alice (Mrs.)

Farmer & Shopkeeper

Trescowe

TRELOAR

Jane Morris (Mrs)

Farmer

Trescowe

TYACK

George

Farmer

Herland cross

UREN

John

Carrier

Tregoning hill

WALTERS

William

Frmr

Trescowe com.

WHITE

James

Butcher

Herland cross

WILLIAMS

Jn. Geo.

Farmer

Penhaleandrea

WILLIAMS

Jn. Jas.

Farmer

Penhaleandrea