Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   

KELLY’S DIRECTORY OF CORNWALL 1883

Page 883 GODOLPHIN

(Transcription by Althea Johnson. Check originals for confirmation)

 

 

GODOLPHIN is a village and ecclesiastical parish, formed in February 1846, from the parish of St. Breage, in the Western division of the county, hundred of Kerrier, Helston union and county court district, Kirrier rural deanery, Cornwall archdeaconry, and Truro diocese, 4 ½ miles north-west from Helston and 7 south from Gwinear road station on the West Cornwall (Great Western) railway.  The church of St. John the Baptist, erected in 1851, is a building of stone with granite facings in the Gothic style, consisting of chancel, lofty nave, aisles separated from the nave by arcades of four arches, north porch and a small bell-turret on the western gable containing two bells.  The register dates from the year 1851.  The living is a vicarage, net yearly value from Ecclesiastical Commissioners £147, with residence, erected in 1877 at a cost of  £1,000, in the gift of the Crown and the bishop of Truro alternately, and held since 1879 by the Rev. Samuel Rundle, jun. M.A. of St. Edmund Hall, Oxford.  Godolphin House, a Quadrangular structure, situated in a large and well-wooded park and now occupied as a farm house, was the seat of the Earls of Godolphin (cir. 1706), but at the present building is only a portion of the original.  Charles II. it is reported, slept here when on a journey to St. Michael’s Mount.  A high lordship is paid by the Duke of Leeds, the present owner, to the St. Aubyn family, as reeve of the manor of Lamburne, to which family, failing an heir, the estate returns.  On Candlemas Day (February 2nd), before sunrise, the reeve must appear at the outer door and give three distinct knocks, saying “Oh yes! Oh Yes! Oh Yes! Here comes I, the reeve of the Manor of Lamburne, to demand my Lord’s dues: three groats and a penny in money, a loaf, a cheese, a collar of brawn and a jug of the best beer in the house; God save the King and the Lord of the Manor.”  This must be repeated at the two inner doors, after which his demand is satisfied.  It was a Sir Francis Godolphin who introduced the first stamping machine for tin ore into Cornwall.  At Great Works Mine gunpowder was first used in 1688 for blasting purposes; and at Wheal Vor, also in this parish, the first colliery engine was erected in 1710.  The population are chiefly engaged in mining.  The principal landowners are the Duke of Leeds and C. Trelawny, esq.  The soil is light, resting on granite and spar.  The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats and roots.  The population in 1881 was 1,245.

 

Letters, through Helston, the nearest money order & telegraph office.

 

This parish is included in Breage school board district.

Board School, Herland Cross (mixed), erected in 1876, for 160 children; average attendance, 70; Richard Smitherm, master.

 

CARRIER – Joseph BERRYMAN to Helston, on sats.; to Penzance, on tues. & thurs. returning same day

 

ROSEWARNE Roseveare, Godolphin House

RUNDLE Rev. Samuel, jun. M.A. Vicarage

 

COMMERCIAL

ADAMS

Jane (Mrs)

Frmr

Penhaleandrea

ADAMS

Paul Thomas

Farmer

Trenear

ADAMS

Wm. Henry

Farmer

Chystodden

BAILEY

James

Carpenter & builder

Herland Cross

BENNETTS

John James

Farmer

Sparnon

BENNETTS

Mry (Mrs)

Frmr

Herland Cross

BLIGHT

Francis

Farmer

Tregoning

BRIAN

Hugh

Farmer

Trescowe

BROWN

Ann (Mrs)

Farmer

Sparnon

CARNE

John

Farmer

Tregoning

EDWARDS

Benjamin

Farmer

Herland

EDWARDS

James

Blacksmith

Gwedna

EDWARDS

William

Carpenter & Farmer

Colsluick

GILBERT

Thomas

Shopkeeper

Carleen

HARRIS

Stephen

Mine Agent

Poldown

HARRY

Charles

Seed & manure merchant, Shopkeeper & Carrier

Herland Cross

HEBBARD

Arthur

Farmer

Trescow

HOCKING

John

Farmer

Gwedna

JACKA

Joseph

Farmer

Redallen

JOHNS

Robert

Blacksmith

Trescowe

OATS

John

Tin streamer

Maiden Stamps

PEARCE

Emanuel

Farmer

Trescowe

PEARCE

Mary (Mrs)

Farmer

Trescowe

POLKINGHORNE

William

Shoe maker

Herland cross

POLGLASE

Mary (Mrs)

Shopkeeper

Great Work

POLMOUNTAIN

Isaac

Farmer

Little Gilley

POOL

Christian

Shopkeepr

Herland cross

POOL

James

Farmer

Trescowe

POPE

Elizth. (Mrs)

Shopkpr

Herland Cross

POPE

Jeremiah

Farmer

Trescowe

POPE

John

Mine agent

Trescowe com

PRYOR

John

Farmer & tin merchant

Wheal Vor

REYNOLDS

George & Sons

Tailors

Herland cross

RICHARDS

Thos.

Shopkeeper

Pengwedna

RICHARDS

Wm. Hy.

Farmer

Wheal Vor

RIDDINGTON

Edwin

Surveyor & Mine agent

Polladrass

ROSEWARNE

Roseveare

Farmer

Godolphin house

ROWE

John

Blacksmith

Herland cross

ROWE

William

Farmer

Pengwedna

RUSSELL

James

Farmer

Pengwedna

SAMPSON

Wm.

Farmer & carman

Sparnon

SCHOLAR

Thomas

Farmer

Trescowe

SHEPHARD

Wm. Hendy

Farmer

Pengilly

STEPHENS

William

Tin merchant

Godolphin bridge

THOMAS

Wm.

Farmer & carman

Herland

TREDREA

Mary (Mrs)

Shopkeeper

Herland cross

TRELOAR

Mary (Mrs.)

Farmer & Shopkeeper

Trescowe

UREN

John

Carrier

Tregoning hill

WELLINGTON

John

Britannia Inn

Herland cross

WHITE

James

Butcher

Herland cross

WILLIAMS

John

Farmer

Penhaleandrea